Gas cylinder fire forces 100 to flee Islington building
PUBLISHED: 10:30 23 April 2015 | UPDATED: 10:30 23 April 2015
Firefighters wear breathing apparatus to tackle blaze at Pentonville road flats
A hundred people were evacuated and a safety cordon imposed when gas cylinders caught fire at a block of flats in Pentonville Road on Saturday afternoon.
The blaze took hold at about 4.20pm frightened residents got out of the building before London Fire Brigade arrived at the scene near the junction with Upper Street, Islington.
Firefighters wore breathing apparatus to enter the burning building and found two propane gas cylinders were burning in a fire in a courtyard.
The cylinders were cooled and made safe before people could return to their homes - the situation was under control by 5.35pm.
An external wall next to the gas cylinders was damaged by the blaze.
Two fire engines and 12 firefighters and officers from Soho and Shoreditch fire stations attended the fire.