Gas cylinder fire forces 100 to flee Islington building
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters wear breathing apparatus to tackle blaze at Pentonville road flats
A hundred people were evacuated and a safety cordon imposed when gas cylinders caught fire at a block of flats in Pentonville Road on Saturday afternoon.
The blaze took hold at about 4.20pm frightened residents got out of the building before London Fire Brigade arrived at the scene near the junction with Upper Street, Islington.
Firefighters wore breathing apparatus to enter the burning building and found two propane gas cylinders were burning in a fire in a courtyard.
The cylinders were cooled and made safe before people could return to their homes - the situation was under control by 5.35pm.
An external wall next to the gas cylinders was damaged by the blaze.
Two fire engines and 12 firefighters and officers from Soho and Shoreditch fire stations attended the fire.
- 1 Reality TV star's brother ‘wasn't involved in drug-trafficking’, murder trial hears
- 2 Islington's first Amazon Fresh store opens in Angel
- 3 Strike action will hit Central and Victoria line Night Tube services this weekend
- 4 Festive events lined up for Islington this Christmas
- 5 New Covid-19 vaccine centre opens on Holloway Road
- 6 There With You This Winter: Mayor offers £51m of funding for fuel poverty
- 7 Poorer households in Islington could see council tax cut
- 8 Safety measure or danger? Two weeks to decide Liverpool Road cycleway fate
- 9 Call to end Islamophobia in Islington at first awareness event
- 10 Scandinavian primary school moves to bigger premises in Highbury