GB sprinter and Olympic hopeful inspires Islington pupils
A group of schoolchildren was given a treat when one of the Great Britain Olympic team came to put them through their paces.
Rion Pierre, a sprinter for team GB and an Olympic hopeful, came to St Mary’s Primary School, in Fowler Road, Islington, to give the pupils a motivating talk.
They also took part in sponsored fitness circuit to raise money for the school and the Sports for School charity.
Genevieve Prayag, headteacher at the school, said: “It was lots of fun for the children and the teachers and staff got involved as well.
“Rion spoke about all the problems he had overcome and the hard work he had put into being a top athlete.
“It was great for the children to hear that,” she added.
- 1 Disqualified driver jailed after hit-and-run involving Islington schoolgirl
- 2 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
- 3 'We've still not had Christmas cards': Royal Mail apologises as post backlog hits Islington
- 4 Holloway BHF pleads for volunteers to help it stay open
- 5 Knifeman was out on bail when he nearly killed father-of-three on school run
- 6 Ironmonger Row Baths have reopened for these activities
- 7 Plan to extend popular Gooners pub with shops and flats
- 8 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 9 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 10 Blue Badge exemption and positive results for Canonbury East LTN