GCSE results: Bumper results for transformed City of London Academy , Islington
- Credit: Archant
An Islington academy has celebrated a bumper year of exam results for the second year running.
With 80 per cent of students achieving five A* to C passes at GCSEs, the City of London Academy, Islington, has maintained last year’s high record which was an improvement of 13 per cent on 2012.
The number of students obtaining the benchmark five A* to C grades including English and maths is also up by 36 per cent since 2012, when a new headteacher took over.
Jamila Comara, 16, of Wenlock Street achieved A and A*s in all of her exams, she said: “I didn’t think that they would go so well, I didn’t expect it at all. God is good and my prayers were answered. I’m really excited about my A in English literature, especially as the news across the country seems so negative.”
Clare Verga, headteacher at the school said: “These results are a true testament of the ongoing improvement and the outstanding work at the academy, it’s an exceptional success.”
You may also want to watch:
In March 2014 an OFSTED inspection graded the academy as ‘Good’ overall and ‘Outstanding’ for its leadership and management.
For more photos from the school, click the link through to the gallery on the right of the page.
- 1 Arsenal Women on cloud nine after big FA Cup win
- 2 Reader letters: Islington's Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - for and against
- 3 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 4 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 5 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 6 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 7 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 8 Islington Council set to save Grade II-listed South Library from disrepair
- 9 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 10 Islington mum speaks out about blaze that wrecked her 17th storey Old Street flat