GCSE results: Central Foundation achieves borough’s best ever results
- Credit: Archant
A school is celebrating becoming the first in Islington to ever see more than 80 per cent of students achieving the landmark five A* to C grades including English and maths.
Despite a nationwide dip in grades Central Foundation Boys’ School in Cowper Street, Finsbury, has improved on last year’s GCSE results which placed them in the top 100 in the country.
Exceptional achievements were seen across the board – in biology, chemistry and physics 65 per cent of grades were A* or A, and in maths 90 per cent obtained a grade C or better, with 30 per cent getting A or A*s. Meanwhile, in English 85 per cent of students achieved a grade C or better.
Stand out success stories include the school’s head boy Nat Erickson, Abhishek Deb, Tsz Hey Lam and Yaqub Mamoon who all achieved nine A or A*s.
Following close behind were Mateen Abbas, Rajeeth Alagendran, Pablo Anto Ojeda, Umyar Chowdhury, Chinmoy Deb, Govinda Deb, Khalid Muruz, Zabirul Hassan and Freddy Quevedo – all achieving six or more A* to As.
You may also want to watch:
Headteacher Jamie Brownhill said: “These are an amazing set of results for the students. They are the consequence of their hard work and dedication which is matched by the huge input they are given by their teachers.
“Central Foundation believes that every young person can be successful – these results demonstrate that we have turned this belief into a reality. Most of our students will be joining our sixth form consortium, IC6, and we expect to see them to be knocking on the doors of the country’s top universities and employers in the next few years’’.
- 1 Reaction from winners of Islington by-elections
- 2 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 3 Islington reports lowest coronavirus infection rate in London
- 4 London elections 2021: Latest results as they come in live
- 5 900-year-old Farringdon market can continue despite opposition
- 6 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 7 Whittington NHS bosses announce maternity transformation plans
- 8 Sharks and rooftop pavilions: Time for planning laws 'middle way'
- 9 What's opening in Islington when Covid lockdown rules ease on May 17?
- 10 St George's Day, Partners Islington, LTNs and Local Plan policy