General Election 2017: Tory candidate for Islington South promises ‘strong and stable government’
- Credit: Archant
Islington Conservatives this afternoon took the fight to Jeremy Corbyn and Emily Thornberry by announcing their candidates for next month’s general election. And Theresa May’s favourite slogan was thrown in for good measure.
Solicitor Jason Charalambous said he will make a claim for “strong and stable government” as he contests Mrs Thornberry’s Islington South and Finsbury seat. James Clark is the candidate for Mr Corbyn’s Islington North seat of 34 years.
The Tories finished a comfortable second in both constituencies in the 2015 election – though Labour hold huge majorities.
Mr Charalambous said: “I am delighted to have been selected to stand for Islington South and Finsbury, an area I know and love, and I hope to be able to provide local people and businesses with the strong voice in Parliament that they deserve.
“I am looking forward to spending the next few weeks meeting as many local people as I can, championing local issues and making the case for a strong and stable government led by Theresa May.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Charalambous is also chair of the Trent Park Museum Trust, a charity which aims to establish a Second World War museum in Bletchely Park. He has fundraised for Islington Green charity Kids for seven years.
Confirmed Islington South and Finsbury candidates
- 1 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 2 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 3 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 4 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 5 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 6 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 7 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Tony Eastlake: Man in court over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
Emily Thornberry (Labour), Alain Desmier (Lib Dem), Benali Hamdache (Green), Jason Charalambous (Conservative)
Confirmed Islington North candidates
Jeremy Corbyn (Labour), Keith Angus (Lib Dem), Caroline Russell (Green), James Clark (Conservative), Michael Foster (Labour for the Common Good)