Giant mistletoe set to turn Islington into hotbed of romance
- Credit: Archant
A giant mistletoe chandelier is set to turn a busy Islington street in the a romantic hotspot tonight.
From 8pm, the enormous traditional emblem of kissing will appear outside the Old Post Office, in Upper Street.
The first couple to smooch under the mistletoe will be Dorothy and Eric Riley, who have been married an impressive 70 years.
To enhance the atmosphere, Rev Simon Harvey of St Mary’s Church, opposite the site, will turn on lights adorning the scene, as well as a sprinkling of magical snowflakes.
Members of the public can kiss under the chandelier throughout the festive period, and can share their love stories via Twitter using the hashtag #LoveIslington.
You may also want to watch:
Tweets will be entered into a draw to win pairs of tickets for performances at The Almeida Theatre, in Almedia Street, Sadler’s Wells, in Rosebery Avenue, or a screening at the Everyman Screen on the Green, in Upper Street.
The draw will be made on Friday 9 January 2015.
- 1 Dangerous driving complaints spur Holloway right-turn bans
- 2 Covid-19 cases start to drop off in Islington
- 3 Emirates pop-up Covid-19 vaccine clinic opens for a second time
- 4 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 5 Former Islington BC Slavisa Gegic fighter visits his old club
- 6 More than 1,000 knives surrendered in Islington’s knife bins
- 7 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 8 Escape in Islington this weekend: Lovely food and great new shows
- 9 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 10 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket