Giant mistletoe set to turn Islington into hotbed of romance
- Credit: Archant
A giant mistletoe chandelier is set to turn a busy Islington street in the a romantic hotspot tonight.
From 8pm, the enormous traditional emblem of kissing will appear outside the Old Post Office, in Upper Street.
The first couple to smooch under the mistletoe will be Dorothy and Eric Riley, who have been married an impressive 70 years.
To enhance the atmosphere, Rev Simon Harvey of St Mary’s Church, opposite the site, will turn on lights adorning the scene, as well as a sprinkling of magical snowflakes.
Members of the public can kiss under the chandelier throughout the festive period, and can share their love stories via Twitter using the hashtag #LoveIslington.
You may also want to watch:
Tweets will be entered into a draw to win pairs of tickets for performances at The Almeida Theatre, in Almedia Street, Sadler’s Wells, in Rosebery Avenue, or a screening at the Everyman Screen on the Green, in Upper Street.
The draw will be made on Friday 9 January 2015.
- 1 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 2 Run Kids Run: Huge fun run raises £40,000 for Islington primary schools
- 3 Islington signs deal to secure homes for Afghan refugees
- 4 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 5 Helen Anderson: CCTV appeal to trace witnesses to Finsbury Park mum's murder
- 6 Stunning photos show how King's Cross has changed in 20 years
- 7 Jeremy Corbyn to hold ‘alternative Cop26’ in Scotland
- 8 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 9 E-scooter rider suffers head injuries in Holloway Road crash
- 10 Guilty: MP Claudia Webbe harassed her partner's female friend, magistrate rules