Giant solar-powered bins that send emails installed in Islington
- Credit: Archant
Huge solar-powered bins which crush litter and email council staff when they are full are being piloted in Holloway.
The “Big Belly” units, which are also used in Times Square in New York, can hold eight times the amount of a normal bin and were installed in the Nag’s Head area earlier this month.
Under the pilot scheme 30 of the bins are being placed at busy recycling and litter hotspots in Islington, where street bins fill quickly, as part of Islington Council’s month-long borough-wide Clean-up Islington blitz on grime.
Cllr Claudia Webbe, Islington Council’s executive member for environment and transport, said: “We’re committed to improving the environment for all who live, work and visit Islington.
“These pioneering new solar powered Big Belly bins with their advanced compaction feature and ability to send signals back to the council when full, will help to tackle recycling and waste at the busiest hotspots in Islington.
You may also want to watch:
“We will carefully monitor this pilot scheme and see if ‘Big Belly’ bins are a helpful addition to our work on recycling and waste.”
The big clean up will next go to Finsbury Park before moving to Archway and then Cally Road.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 8 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 9 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 10 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey