Gig preview: Singer-songwriter Jack Savoretti set to play Scala in King’s Cross
Anyone lucky enough to hear Jack Savoretti’s stunning set at The Borderline earlier this year will no doubt have been among the first in line for tickets to his next London appearance, at Scala in King’s Cross on Tuesday.
The singer/songwriter arrives at the Pentonville Road venue on the crest of a wave of critical acclaim, and deep into a UK tour which will take him from Exeter to Edinburgh via 17 other cities.
And with plenty of airplay around his Before The Storm album, a growing army of fans will be looking forward to Tuesday’s gig with relish.
Happiest when on the road with his band The Dirty Romantics, his latest single, Breaking The Rules, is a nod towards dealing with the pressures of touring.
‘‘It is probably the first song I’ve written where I’m talking about what I do instead of how I feel. It’s about doing things on your own terms... and that’s what touring is really all about,’’ he said.
‘‘The last tour was far too short. Just when we were getting really into it we had to come home. There’s nothing worse.
‘‘This time around we are out for longer, playing to more people and in places I’ve never been before.’’
- 1 Plan to extend popular Gooners pub with shops and flats
- 2 Disqualified driver jailed after hit-and-run involving Islington schoolgirl
- 3 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 4 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 5 Blue Badge exemption and positive results for Canonbury East LTN
- 6 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
- 7 Holloway BHF pleads for volunteers to help it stay open
- 8 'We've still not had Christmas cards': Royal Mail apologises as post backlog hits Islington
- 9 Archway teacher on trial for 'encouraging terrorism'
- 10 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
Before The Storm is his third studio album and by far his biggest success, though it was his duet with Sienna Miller, Hate & Love, which brought him most attention after it was used in The Vampire Diaries.
He’s been described as ‘‘astonishing in every way’’ by Janice Long and his romantic introspective poetry and raw honesty is earning him a reputation as one of the country’s finest songwriters.
There will also be a surprise in store as the La Scala gig will feature the winners of a competition he ran online, asking fans to upload a video of themselves covering Breaking The Rules.
Tickets are still available for the gig at Scala. For more information call 020 7833 2022.