Gillespie Park Apple Day: Community comes together for heritage snacks and sustainability
- Credit: Archant
The community celebrated “sustainability” and British apples in Gillespie Park on Sunday.
The annual event saw fruit fans descend on the Isilngton Ecology Centre, which is nestled in the park, for an afternoon of live music, games and all things apple.
It included apple tasting and pressing, a collection of heritage snacks from Brogdale National Fruit Collection, and activities highlighting the problem of food waste.
Speaking ahead of the event, Pat Tuson, of Friends of Gillespie Park, said: “You’ll be amazed at how many varieties of apples there are, come along on Apple Day and enjoy them.
“Heritage apples will be on sale throughout the day and apple themed fare can be bought from our popular Sunday Cafe in the Eco Centre.”
You may also want to watch:
And even Jeremy Corbyn, Islington North MP and Labour leader, joined in and pressed some apples with excited youngsters.
The event was a joint venture run by FGP and the Islington Ecology Centre.
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 5 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 6 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 7 Hackney photographer captures lockdown 'park life'
- 8 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 9 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing