Gillespie Park Apple Day: Community comes together for heritage snacks and sustainability
- Credit: Archant
The community celebrated “sustainability” and British apples in Gillespie Park on Sunday.
The annual event saw fruit fans descend on the Isilngton Ecology Centre, which is nestled in the park, for an afternoon of live music, games and all things apple.
It included apple tasting and pressing, a collection of heritage snacks from Brogdale National Fruit Collection, and activities highlighting the problem of food waste.
Speaking ahead of the event, Pat Tuson, of Friends of Gillespie Park, said: “You’ll be amazed at how many varieties of apples there are, come along on Apple Day and enjoy them.
“Heritage apples will be on sale throughout the day and apple themed fare can be bought from our popular Sunday Cafe in the Eco Centre.”
You may also want to watch:
And even Jeremy Corbyn, Islington North MP and Labour leader, joined in and pressed some apples with excited youngsters.
The event was a joint venture run by FGP and the Islington Ecology Centre.
- 1 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 2 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 3 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 4 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 7 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 8 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 9 Parliament Square demo: Protesters call on government to end cladding crisis
- 10 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'