Search

Girl rescued by mum in Goswell Road flat fire

PUBLISHED: 14:05 23 May 2017 | UPDATED: 14:12 23 May 2017

The blaze in Goswell Road took an hour to bring under control last night. Picture: @LondonFire/Twitter

The blaze in Goswell Road took an hour to bring under control last night. Picture: @LondonFire/Twitter

Archant

A mum rescued her daughter in their Goswell Road home last night. An unattended tealight had set the little girl’s bedroom alight.

The mum heard a loud noise from the bedroom, and saw it engulfed by flames. She rescued her daughter and they escaped the sixth floor flat with her other daughter.

Firefighters from six stations were called just after 9.15pm and had the blaze under control an hour later.

Half the flat was damaged and there was smoke on the sixth, seventh and eighth floor corridors. About 25 people evacuated the block before the crews arrived. London Ambulance Service assessed people at the scene.

Watch manager Richard Reid said: “Thankfully the mother heard a bang in the bedroom and quickly got her daughters out of the property, with all of them uninjured.

“This highlights the importance of never leaving candles unattended and always blowing them out before bed. There was a working smoke alarm in the hallway but homes need multiple and linked alarms to give you better protection.

“Ideal spots for smoke alarms include rooms where you leave electrical equipment running like satellite boxes, computers or heaters; any room where you smoke, and anywhere you charge your mobile or laptop.”

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Islington Gazette

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists