Giroud’s late goal rescues Arsenal from defeat against Manchester United
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Manchester United 1 Arsenal 1
Substitute Olivier Giroud snatched his fourth goal in as many games with a late equaliser to earn Arsenal a point at Old Trafford.
The Gunners were trailing to Juan Mata’s strike with just one minute remaining when Giroud rose to head home Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain’s inviting cross.
The goal maintained Arsenal’s unbeaten record in all competitions since the opening day of the season – although it was not enough to end their decade-long run without an away win against the Red Devils.
And Arsene Wenger’s side were fortunate to secure a draw from a game in which, aside from Giroud’s goal, they failed to register a single attempt on target.
You may also want to watch:
Alexis Sanchez could have done better with an early effort, misdirecting his header, but it was United who looked the more likely to score as they got on top towards the end of the first half.
Nacho Monreal survived a penalty appeal when Antonio Valencia went tumbling inside the box, while Petr Cech did well to deny both Mata and Anthony Martial before half-time.
- 1 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 Islington shooting victim named
- 7 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 8 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 10 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal
Martial tested Cech again after the break, but the goalkeeper was exposed on 68 minutes when Paul Pogba and Ander Herrera combined for Mata to dispatch a first-time drive from the edge of the area.
Marcos Rojo had a chance to seal victory for United, heading wide from Daley Blind’s cross before Giroud netted at the far post to get the visitors out of jail.