Granny scoops £95,000 bingo jackpot...at last
A GREAT grandmother from Islington is this week celebrating a £95,000 bingo win – 30 years after she first began playing.
A GREAT grandmother from Islington is this week celebrating a £95,000 bingo win - 30 years after she first began playing.
The lucky 75-year-old, who has asked not to be identified, was playing at the Mecca Club in Wood Green last Wednesday when her numbers came up.
She won the club prize, the club jackpot, the regional prize and the national prize - but it was the cool £86,683 she scooped on the National Game Platinum Jackpot which sent her winnings spiralling.
The pensioner said: "Never in my life did I expect anything like this. After I shouted the manager came over and said 'If I tell you how much you've won, you won't have a heart attack will you?' It was a big shock."
You may also want to watch:
The pensioner, who is a widow, has five children, seven grandchildren and three great grandchildren. She intends to use the money to buy her house and treat her family. "I'm still so excited," she said this week. "After all, it's not every day you win £95,000."
The general manager at Wood Green Mecca Bingo, Simon Smiley, said: "You name it, she won it. It's a really big thing to win that £95,000, especially on a wet Wednesday afternoon.
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 3 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 4 Letters on People Friendly Streets in St Peter's
- 5 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 6 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 7 Islington kids are being 'drawn into county lines drug smuggling'
- 8 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 9 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 10 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
"It only happens every two years or so and when I whispered the amount to her she was shaking. But she carried on playing her bingo. She was still after that £10 win even after scooping one hundred grand.