Granny scoops £95,000 bingo jackpot...at last
A GREAT grandmother from Islington is this week celebrating a £95,000 bingo win – 30 years after she first began playing.
A GREAT grandmother from Islington is this week celebrating a £95,000 bingo win - 30 years after she first began playing.
The lucky 75-year-old, who has asked not to be identified, was playing at the Mecca Club in Wood Green last Wednesday when her numbers came up.
She won the club prize, the club jackpot, the regional prize and the national prize - but it was the cool £86,683 she scooped on the National Game Platinum Jackpot which sent her winnings spiralling.
The pensioner said: "Never in my life did I expect anything like this. After I shouted the manager came over and said 'If I tell you how much you've won, you won't have a heart attack will you?' It was a big shock."
You may also want to watch:
The pensioner, who is a widow, has five children, seven grandchildren and three great grandchildren. She intends to use the money to buy her house and treat her family. "I'm still so excited," she said this week. "After all, it's not every day you win £95,000."
The general manager at Wood Green Mecca Bingo, Simon Smiley, said: "You name it, she won it. It's a really big thing to win that £95,000, especially on a wet Wednesday afternoon.
- 1 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 2 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 3 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 4 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - more points of view
- 5 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 6 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 7 Cult restaurant Eggslut set to open third London location
- 8 Letter: Saving green spaces from development
- 9 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 10 Islington shooting victim named
"It only happens every two years or so and when I whispered the amount to her she was shaking. But she carried on playing her bingo. She was still after that £10 win even after scooping one hundred grand.