Great white shark fin terrifies boaters on Finsbury Park lake
- Credit: Archant
Boaters on Finsbury Park lake were terrified when a giant shark fin sliced through the water towards them.
Like a scene from Jaws, the Great White’s dorsal appendage appeared from below the murky depths and headed in the direction of the horrified rowers.
Joggers, dog-walkers and early morning commuters also observed the watery encounters from the safety of the shoreline.
Luckily for the potential shark-bait, the whole scene was a publicity stunt set up by the Discovery Channel to celebrate their Shark Week series of programmes, which begins on Sunday.
The hand-carved polystyrene fin, created by BAFTA award-winner Jamie Campbell, was mounted onto a frame with flotation devices to guide the shark.
You may also want to watch:
A rowing boat with a huge bite taken out of it was also placed on the boating lake island.
A spokesman for TV channel said: “When you go for a genteel early morning ride around the shallow Finsbury Park Boating Lake, the last thing you would expect to encounter is one of nature’s most renowned predators.
- 1 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 2 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 3 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 4 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 5 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 6 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 7 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 8 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 9 Emirates to reopen for Covid jabs as council looks to entice residents
- 10 Arsenal complete signing of Norweigan midfielder Frida Maanum
“All of the boaters saw the funny side and we can assure everyone that it is perfectly safe to go back in the water.”
This is the second shark related incident in Islington in the last couple of weeks.
At the end of July, an animatronic ‘killer shark’ was scared customers at Steve Hatt’s fishmongers in Essex Road. Islington.