Gun crime almost halved in Islington
Gun crime in Islington has almost halved, but personal robberies are up by 27 per cent, police figures reveal.
In the year leading up to June 2011, there were 59 incidents with guns, compared to 100 in the same period the year before.
However, the number of people being robbed rose to 1,008 from 794. Other offences on the rise were rape, which went up from 89 to 105, and homophonic crime, which jumped from 95 to 117.
Det Ch Insp Steve Wallace, of Islington Police, said: “The figures for gun crime have fallen considerably and we are pleased about that.
We have led successful investigations against people who were jailed for guns and drugs offences this year.
You may also want to watch:
“We have also caught and jailed several prolific robbers recently.
“Members of the public should be aware of their surroundings when using their iPhone or BlackBerry phones in public places.”
- 1 London Assembly election 2021: Meet the north east candidates
- 2 Anti-LTN independent candidates deny creating new political party
- 3 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 4 Man, 70, charged with murder of Imani Allaway-Muir
- 5 Police appeal after moped rider left seriously injured in crash
- 6 Islington's John Ryder heads to Texas for big fight
- 7 Arsenal midfielder Jill Roord reported to be on Wolfsburg's radar
- 8 Row over ‘underhanded’ approach derails Amazon Fresh store opening
- 9 What's opening in Islington when Covid lockdown rules ease on May 17?
- 10 Highbury restaurant joins 'recipes against racism' campaign