Gun crime almost halved in Islington
Gun crime in Islington has almost halved, but personal robberies are up by 27 per cent, police figures reveal.
In the year leading up to June 2011, there were 59 incidents with guns, compared to 100 in the same period the year before.
However, the number of people being robbed rose to 1,008 from 794. Other offences on the rise were rape, which went up from 89 to 105, and homophonic crime, which jumped from 95 to 117.
Det Ch Insp Steve Wallace, of Islington Police, said: “The figures for gun crime have fallen considerably and we are pleased about that.
We have led successful investigations against people who were jailed for guns and drugs offences this year.
You may also want to watch:
“We have also caught and jailed several prolific robbers recently.
“Members of the public should be aware of their surroundings when using their iPhone or BlackBerry phones in public places.”
- 1 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 2 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 3 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 4 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 5 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 6 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 7 Letters on low traffic neighbourhoods
- 8 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
- 9 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 10 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week