Gun crime almost halved in Islington
Gun crime in Islington has almost halved, but personal robberies are up by 27 per cent, police figures reveal.
In the year leading up to June 2011, there were 59 incidents with guns, compared to 100 in the same period the year before.
However, the number of people being robbed rose to 1,008 from 794. Other offences on the rise were rape, which went up from 89 to 105, and homophonic crime, which jumped from 95 to 117.
Det Ch Insp Steve Wallace, of Islington Police, said: “The figures for gun crime have fallen considerably and we are pleased about that.
We have led successful investigations against people who were jailed for guns and drugs offences this year.
You may also want to watch:
“We have also caught and jailed several prolific robbers recently.
“Members of the public should be aware of their surroundings when using their iPhone or BlackBerry phones in public places.”
- 1 Family appeal for help to find Islington man missing for more than two weeks
- 2 Why Angel station was closed yesterday
- 3 Overground suspended in Hackney and Islington
- 4 Five things to do in Hackney and Islington this Halloween weekend
- 5 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 6 Former election candidate convicted of having a knife in public
- 7 Even better than the real thing? Tribute bands to see in north London before 2022
- 8 Letter: 'Highbury Corner is unsafe and unhealthy for pedestrians'
- 9 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 10 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack