Hate crime rise
FOLLOWING a recent written question asked by the Liberal Democrat London Assembly member Dee Doocey, the Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, revealed hate crime statistics in London over the last four years.
I think the figures in relation to Islington might be of interest.
In relation to racist incidents, there has been an increase from 387 incidents in 2006/07 to 501 incidents in the year 2009/2010.
In relation to homophobic incidents the figures have gone up and then come down between 2006/07 and 2009/10.
However, what is really significant is that in the current year the number of incidents is 133, which is far higher than any of the previous three years. This really is significant is that there are 2.5 months left of the current year 2010/2011.
You may also want to watch:
– Mark Morris, senior press officer, Liberal Democrat London Assembly Group, via e-mail.
- 1 Why Angel station was closed yesterday
- 2 How much do you know about Islington?
- 3 Former election candidate convicted of having a knife in public
- 4 Five things to do in Hackney and Islington this Halloween weekend
- 5 Letter: 'Highbury Corner is unsafe and unhealthy for pedestrians'
- 6 Architectural view: A tribute to bricks and Haggerston's 'houses of commons'
- 7 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 8 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 9 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
- 10 'Eidevall has turned Arsenal from believers into contenders'