Hate crime rise
FOLLOWING a recent written question asked by the Liberal Democrat London Assembly member Dee Doocey, the Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, revealed hate crime statistics in London over the last four years.
I think the figures in relation to Islington might be of interest.
In relation to racist incidents, there has been an increase from 387 incidents in 2006/07 to 501 incidents in the year 2009/2010.
In relation to homophobic incidents the figures have gone up and then come down between 2006/07 and 2009/10.
However, what is really significant is that in the current year the number of incidents is 133, which is far higher than any of the previous three years. This really is significant is that there are 2.5 months left of the current year 2010/2011.
You may also want to watch:
– Mark Morris, senior press officer, Liberal Democrat London Assembly Group, via e-mail.
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 3 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 4 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 5 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
- 6 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 7 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 8 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 9 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 10 Islington and Camden police chief to leave Met after 29 years