Hate crime rise
FOLLOWING a recent written question asked by the Liberal Democrat London Assembly member Dee Doocey, the Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, revealed hate crime statistics in London over the last four years.
I think the figures in relation to Islington might be of interest.
In relation to racist incidents, there has been an increase from 387 incidents in 2006/07 to 501 incidents in the year 2009/2010.
In relation to homophobic incidents the figures have gone up and then come down between 2006/07 and 2009/10.
However, what is really significant is that in the current year the number of incidents is 133, which is far higher than any of the previous three years. This really is significant is that there are 2.5 months left of the current year 2010/2011.
You may also want to watch:
– Mark Morris, senior press officer, Liberal Democrat London Assembly Group, via e-mail.
- 1 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 2 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 3 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 4 'Risk of thunderstorms' in north London ahead of May 17 lockdown easing
- 5 Tollington by-election imminent as Richard Watts joins Khan's 'top team'
- 6 Primary school allowed to keep floodlights despite complaints
- 7 Tributes paid to founder of Islington's Museum of Funeral History
- 8 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 9 Islington Council set to save Grade II-listed South Library from disrepair
- 10 Islington Council backtracks on promise to save mulberry tree