£2.5million facelift for Highbury Pool will see runners Tweet on the treadmill
- Credit: Archant
A multi-million pound plan to revamp a popular pool have been revealed in more detail.
Highbury Pool and Fitness Centre, in Highbury Crescent, is set for a £2.5million facelift as part of a deal struck with GLL, the company took over the management of Islington’s leisure services in April.
Plans include an bigger gym with brand new, high-tech machines that allow fitness fanatics to look at their favourite websites and TV programmes, as well as use Twitter and Facebook, while they exercise.
The Highbury centre will also get a new health suite, studios and a refurbished foyer.
Cllr Janet Burgess, Islington Council’s executive member for health and wellbeing said: “When we announced our partnership with GLL in the spring, we promised a multi-million pound investment into our sports centres and swimming pools.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m delighted that this work is underway across the borough and would encourage residents to have their say on the proposals.
“Opinions have helped shaped work at other leisure centres, giving residents the leisure facilities they want allowing participation in healthy, active and enjoyable activities across Islington.”
- 1 Arsenal Women on cloud nine after big FA Cup win
- 2 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 3 Reader letters: Islington's Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - for and against
- 4 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 5 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 6 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 7 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 8 Islington Council set to save Grade II-listed South Library from disrepair
- 9 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 10 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
The deal between GLL and the council, which saw the not-for-profit social enterprise take over from Holloway based charity Aquaterra, included a promise of a £10million investment in the borough’s leisure facilities.
Other beneficiaries include Cally Pool, in Caledonian Road, Islington, where work to expand the gym and improve the reception are set to be finished by Christmas, as well as plans to upgrade and expand Archway Leisure Centre, in McDonald Road.
Mark Sesnan, managing director at GLL, said, “Our promise to improve and invest into the community leisure facilities in Islington continues, with the largest single investment taking place at Highbury Pool.
“We are delighted to be furthering this commitment to local people and we welcome feedback on the proposed refurbishments so that we can continue to provide first class, affordable leisure facilities that everyone in Islington can be proud of.”
To view more detailed plans for Highbury, or to have you say, click here