Archway Leisure Centre relaunches after £2 million upgrade
- Credit: Archant
Archway Leisure Centre has officially relaunched, following a £2 million refurbishment.
Fitness equipment at the centre in MacDonald Road has now been increased to 122 stations including new weights, treadmills, rowing machines, cross-trainers and resistance machines plus an extra 254sqm of fitness space.
New changing rooms re-located poolside sauna, improvements to Reception, self-service kiosks and reduced customer congestion complete the upgrade.
The refurbishment was unveiled at an event last week attended by Islington Council’s Deputy Leader and executive member for health and wellbeing, Cllr Janet Burgess.
She said: “The council is committed to supporting all of our residents to live healthy, independent lives. The fantastic new facilities at Archway Leisure Centre provide local people in the north of the borough with the perfect opportunity to get involved, try something new, and stay fit.”
You may also want to watch:
“We’d like to thank all the customers who have coped with the disruption during the renovation work.”
Those attending the event took part in a master spin class, gym challenges and a raffle draw for a colour TV, three months’ free membership and three free personal training sessions.
- 1 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 4 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 5 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 8 Consultation launches on St Peter’s people-friendly streets scheme
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn joins campaign to protect human right Article 25
- 10 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
Children from St Joseph’s School and Hargrave Park School enjoyed a family fun swim in the pool’s waves, water slide and rapids.
The refurbishment follows Cally Pool’s £400,000 upgrade in 2015.
Mark Sesnan, Managing Director of GLL which provides the leisure centre under its customer brand ‘Better’, said: “Our Archway refurbishment is creating affordable opportunities for the local community to swim, run, cycle and gym as part of a healthier and better life.”