Barnsbury cancer survivor: ‘Join me in walking 10k steps in June’
- Credit: Hannah Bracknbury/Vervate
A Barnsbury cancer survivor is encouraging people to walk 10,000 steps a day in June.
Clare Gray, a retired lawyer and mum-of-two of Richmond Avenue, began to lead a healthier lifestyle after beating breast cancer.
She started walking 10,000 steps a day as part of Cancer Research’s “walk all over cancer” fundraising drive, and is encouraging men and women from Islington to do the same from tomorrow.
“It made me feel really fit,” 63-year-old Clare said, “and was a great, achievable challenge. It’s thanks to research that I’m still here today, and why I want to encourage others to get involved with the challenge in June.
“Walking 10,000 steps per day is quite a task but people can go at their own pace and build the walks into their day–to-day routine. The best part about walking is that it’s totally free - all you need is some comfortable shoes and you’re set to go!”
You may also want to watch:
For more information on sponsorship, see www.cruk.org/walkallover
- 1 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 2 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 3 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 4 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 5 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 6 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 7 Callum Chambers could be Arsenal's starting right-back
- 8 Summer in the city: 5 Things to do in Islington this weekend
- 9 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 10 Statue to street cat Bob unveiled in Islington Green