Barnsbury cancer survivor: ‘Join me in walking 10k steps in June’
- Credit: Hannah Bracknbury/Vervate
A Barnsbury cancer survivor is encouraging people to walk 10,000 steps a day in June.
Clare Gray, a retired lawyer and mum-of-two of Richmond Avenue, began to lead a healthier lifestyle after beating breast cancer.
She started walking 10,000 steps a day as part of Cancer Research’s “walk all over cancer” fundraising drive, and is encouraging men and women from Islington to do the same from tomorrow.
“It made me feel really fit,” 63-year-old Clare said, “and was a great, achievable challenge. It’s thanks to research that I’m still here today, and why I want to encourage others to get involved with the challenge in June.
“Walking 10,000 steps per day is quite a task but people can go at their own pace and build the walks into their day–to-day routine. The best part about walking is that it’s totally free - all you need is some comfortable shoes and you’re set to go!”
You may also want to watch:
For more information on sponsorship, see www.cruk.org/walkallover
- 1 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 2 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 3 Islington Council backtracks on promise to save mulberry tree
- 4 Reaction from winners of Islington by-elections
- 5 Historic pub The Cuckoo ready to welcome locals inside after refurbishment
- 6 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 7 Upper Street chef raises money for St Vincent volcano victims
- 8 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 9 Islington district seal victory over Camden
- 10 Islington Boxing Club receives a major boost in fundraising campaign