Barnsbury cancer survivor: ‘Join me in walking 10k steps in June’
- Credit: Hannah Bracknbury/Vervate
A Barnsbury cancer survivor is encouraging people to walk 10,000 steps a day in June.
Clare Gray, a retired lawyer and mum-of-two of Richmond Avenue, began to lead a healthier lifestyle after beating breast cancer.
She started walking 10,000 steps a day as part of Cancer Research’s “walk all over cancer” fundraising drive, and is encouraging men and women from Islington to do the same from tomorrow.
“It made me feel really fit,” 63-year-old Clare said, “and was a great, achievable challenge. It’s thanks to research that I’m still here today, and why I want to encourage others to get involved with the challenge in June.
“Walking 10,000 steps per day is quite a task but people can go at their own pace and build the walks into their day–to-day routine. The best part about walking is that it’s totally free - all you need is some comfortable shoes and you’re set to go!”
You may also want to watch:
For more information on sponsorship, see www.cruk.org/walkallover
- 1 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
- 2 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 3 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 4 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 5 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 6 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 7 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 8 'Exceptional' heroes granted Islington's highest award, the 'Freedom of the Borough'
- 9 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'
- 10 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?