Best-selling author Martina Cole backs campaign to encourage reading in Islington
- Credit: Archant
Best selling author Martina Cole has backed a town hall initiative to inspire non-readers into reading.
The Six Book Challenge asks people to read six books and complete a reading diary – with successful challengers entered into a prize draw for an e-reader as well as being given a certificate on July 10, like last year’s successful readers, pictured above.
So far 161 Islington resident’s have completed the six book challenge.
Ms Cole said: “The wonderful thing about the challenge is that people who don’t normally read, or who think that reading isn’t their bag, are encouraged to pick up a book.
“When you read a book you have to picture it all in your own mind.
You may also want to watch:
“No one tells you what you’re seeing or what you should be feeling. That’s the secret of reading – it’s such a personal thing.”
For more information on the Six Book Challenge visit www.islington.gov.uk/libraries
- 1 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 2 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 3 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 4 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 5 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 6 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 7 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 8 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 9 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 10 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey