Best-selling author Martina Cole backs campaign to encourage reading in Islington
- Credit: Archant
Best selling author Martina Cole has backed a town hall initiative to inspire non-readers into reading.
The Six Book Challenge asks people to read six books and complete a reading diary – with successful challengers entered into a prize draw for an e-reader as well as being given a certificate on July 10, like last year’s successful readers, pictured above.
So far 161 Islington resident’s have completed the six book challenge.
Ms Cole said: “The wonderful thing about the challenge is that people who don’t normally read, or who think that reading isn’t their bag, are encouraged to pick up a book.
“When you read a book you have to picture it all in your own mind.
“No one tells you what you’re seeing or what you should be feeling. That’s the secret of reading – it’s such a personal thing.”
For more information on the Six Book Challenge visit www.islington.gov.uk/libraries
- 1 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
- 2 'We've still not had Christmas cards': Royal Mail apologises as post backlog hits Islington
- 3 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 4 Archway teacher on trial for 'encouraging terrorism'
- 5 More than 18,000 Covid breach fines issued by Met during lockdowns
- 6 Blue Badge exemption and positive results for Canonbury East LTN
- 7 Replacement Finsbury Park leisure centre a step closer
- 8 How many alcohol-related fires were there in your borough last year?
- 9 Screen on the Green: Dive into 1940s America this weekend
- 10 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs