Charity appeals to people of Islington to ‘make a difference’ and volunteer at Whittington Hospital shop
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
A charity is asking for the people of Islington to consider giving up a few hours of their time each week to volunteer at its new pop-up shop at the Whittington Hospital.
The Royal Voluntary Service has opened grocery store Shop and Co on Monday for an initial six-month run, with proceeds from book sales also going to the hospital.
As well as serving customers, volunteers will also signpost services open to older people.
Kate Bull, a Royal Voluntary Service director, said: “We want it to be part of the local community: the ‘and Co’ stands for ‘and Community’ and we are calling on people from Islington to get involved and give something back.
“Just volunteering a couple of hours to help support the running of the store and provide a friendly, welcoming ear to customers may not seem like much, but it makes a massive difference.”
You may also want to watch:
To get involved, visit royalvoluntaryservice.org.uk/hospitalretail
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 3 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 4 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 5 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 6 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 7 Jungle Cruise (12A)
- 8 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 9 Heartbreak for Team GB as Australia end Olympic dream
- 10 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?