Childhood obesity targeted by £600,000 Islington community group funding
- Credit: Archant
Childhood obesity is being targeted by health chiefs who are stumping up £600,000 for schools and community groups to start fitness projects.
Groups can start bidding for up to £90,000 through Islington Council for schemes to tackle obesity in nearly one in four children of secondary school age.
Money could be used to buy new fitness equipment or create outdoor play spaces.
Higher sums will be considered for projects in Hornsey, Barnsbury and Finsbury – the three priority areas which have the highest childhood obesity rates in the borough.
Islington Clinical Commissioning Group – the new body which funds local NHS services on a £302 million – is stumping up the cash in partnership with Islington Council.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Janet Burgess, Islington Council’s cabinet member for health and wellbeing, said: “Islington is a densely populated borough with very little green space, so it’s incredibly important that we provide high quality play spaces for children and young people to spend time in.
“We’d like to see proposals put forward that will encourage families as well as groups of children, to spend time having fun and getting moving together.”
- 1 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Islington shooting victim named
- 9 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 10 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
Applications can be made for smaller projects costing between £10,000 to £50,000, as well as three larger planned schemes costing up to £90,000.
Application forms can be downloaded from www.islington.gov.uk/activespaces