Childhood obesity targeted by £600,000 Islington community group funding
- Credit: Archant
Childhood obesity is being targeted by health chiefs who are stumping up £600,000 for schools and community groups to start fitness projects.
Groups can start bidding for up to £90,000 through Islington Council for schemes to tackle obesity in nearly one in four children of secondary school age.
Money could be used to buy new fitness equipment or create outdoor play spaces.
Higher sums will be considered for projects in Hornsey, Barnsbury and Finsbury – the three priority areas which have the highest childhood obesity rates in the borough.
Islington Clinical Commissioning Group – the new body which funds local NHS services on a £302 million – is stumping up the cash in partnership with Islington Council.
Cllr Janet Burgess, Islington Council’s cabinet member for health and wellbeing, said: “Islington is a densely populated borough with very little green space, so it’s incredibly important that we provide high quality play spaces for children and young people to spend time in.
“We’d like to see proposals put forward that will encourage families as well as groups of children, to spend time having fun and getting moving together.”
- 1 Shell casings found after Islington gun reports
- 2 Seven Sisters stabbing: Three jailed over Green Lanes gang killing
- 3 Disqualified driver jailed after hit-and-run involving Islington schoolgirl
- 4 Covid patients in north London hospitals with Plan B rules set to lift
- 5 Artisan coffee house opens in Angel Central following £16m refurbishment
- 6 How often do Londoners cycle to work in each borough?
- 7 Plan to extend popular Gooners pub with shops and flats
- 8 Four Hackney and Islington properties with amazing skyline views
- 9 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
- 10 Blue Badge exemption and positive results for Canonbury East LTN
Applications can be made for smaller projects costing between £10,000 to £50,000, as well as three larger planned schemes costing up to £90,000.
Application forms can be downloaded from www.islington.gov.uk/activespaces