Designer for new Finsbury Leisure Centre announced
- Credit: Archant
An Islington architect firm has won a competition to oversee the redevelopment of Finsbury Leisure Centre with the council.
Pollard Thomas Edwards Architects, in Graham Street, came top in a five-strong shortlist with its “creative and forward thinking” design.
Islington Council said the redevelopment of the site, in Norman Street, will also deliver new council homes and improved public space, “alongside an exemplary civic building that will bring together leisure, childcare, healthcare, and energy under one roof”.
Housing leader Cllr Diarmaid Ward said: “We look forward to working with them and the local community to create new high-quality affordable homes and improved community facilities for Finsbury residents including a new leisure centre, GP practice, and nursery.
“Like the rest of London, Islington faces a housing crisis, with a huge shortage of affordable housing. Projects such as this are another opportunity to build new council homes and help meet the housing needs of local residents.”
You may also want to watch:
For more information about the redevelopment, visit islington.gov.uk/stlukes
- 1 Tributes paid to 'Gooner legend' who died of Covid 'caught at Euros final'
- 2 Appeal for information after boy, 15, stabbed in back
- 3 Upper Street coffee shop to start selling "quality" wine despite noise objections
- 4 Dangerous driving complaints spur Holloway right-turn bans
- 5 Second man charged with murder of Taylor Cox in Islington
- 6 Letters on Low Traffic Neighbourhoods
- 7 More than 1,000 knives surrendered in Islington’s knife bins
- 8 In pictures: Pond-dipping, singing and mindfulness at Gillespie Park fun day
- 9 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 10 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington