Former Whittington Hospital midwife diagnosed with asbestos-related cancer
- Credit: Archant
A former midwife with asbestos-related cancer suspects her time at the Whittington Hospital could be responsible for the disease.
Margaret Daly, 69, blames her years at the hospital in the 1960s for her recent diagnosis of incurable mesothelioma, which is caused by asbestos exposure and leaves her constantly breathless and suffering chest pains.
Now she is searching for answers and has instructed lawyers Irwin Mitchell to help her secure justice before it is too late.
“The news I’m suffering from this terrible illness came completely out of the blue,” she said.
She worked at the hospital in Magdala Avenue, Highgate, from 1964 to 1969 and lived in nurses’ quarters there.
She also suspects her time at the Shotley Bridge Hospital in Newcastle, from 1959 to 1964, may have contributed.
“The two hospitals were really old and decrepit buildings, particularly the nurse’s accommodation at Whittington,” she said.
- 1 Seven north London gastropubs voted best in UK
- 2 Boy, 15, rushed to hospital after stabbing in Harringay Sainsbury's carpark
- 3 Shell casings found after Islington gun reports
- 4 Islington woman makes thousands from odd jobs app Airtasker
- 5 Man allegedly 'shouted racist abuse' in Waterlow Park
- 6 Whittington Hospital's landmark incinerator chimney to be dismantled
- 7 Seven Sisters stabbing: Three jailed over Green Lanes gang killing
- 8 Petition for safer Finsbury Park gets 1,250 signatures in one week
- 9 Emma Thompson and Sir Ian McKellen line up to play Whodunnit detectives
- 10 Disqualified driver jailed after hit-and-run involving Islington schoolgirl
The mother-of-one, who now lives in County Durham, is calling for anyone with information about the use of the deadly substance at the Whittington in the 1960s to come forward.
Solicitor Isobel Lovett said: “It can take decades for victims like Margaret to develop the debilitating conditions for which there is sadly no cure.”
A spokesman for Whittington Health said the hospital contains asbestos “in common with many buildings constructed in the 19th and 20th centuries”.
She added: “The hospital manages this in accordance with current regulations. We are sorry to hear of Margaret Daly’s condition.”
Anyone with information about can contact Ms Lovett on 0191 279 0104 or firstname.lastname@example.org.