Former Whittington Hospital midwife diagnosed with asbestos-related cancer
- Credit: Archant
A former midwife with asbestos-related cancer suspects her time at the Whittington Hospital could be responsible for the disease.
Margaret Daly, 69, blames her years at the hospital in the 1960s for her recent diagnosis of incurable mesothelioma, which is caused by asbestos exposure and leaves her constantly breathless and suffering chest pains.
Now she is searching for answers and has instructed lawyers Irwin Mitchell to help her secure justice before it is too late.
“The news I’m suffering from this terrible illness came completely out of the blue,” she said.
She worked at the hospital in Magdala Avenue, Highgate, from 1964 to 1969 and lived in nurses’ quarters there.
You may also want to watch:
She also suspects her time at the Shotley Bridge Hospital in Newcastle, from 1959 to 1964, may have contributed.
“The two hospitals were really old and decrepit buildings, particularly the nurse’s accommodation at Whittington,” she said.
- 1 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 2 Holloway fire 'caused by unattended chip pan'
- 3 'Good Samaritan' chased off random attacker who hit woman
- 4 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 5 Four teenagers deny murdering 17-year-old Anas Mezenner
- 6 Thornhill School's 'dream' library opens after parents' 'relentless' fundraising efforts
- 7 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 8 Can you help identify this man?
- 9 Campaigners debate future of Holloway Women's Building with Peabody Trust
- 10 'Light at the end of the tunnel': Upper Street shoppers excited to end lockdown
The mother-of-one, who now lives in County Durham, is calling for anyone with information about the use of the deadly substance at the Whittington in the 1960s to come forward.
Solicitor Isobel Lovett said: “It can take decades for victims like Margaret to develop the debilitating conditions for which there is sadly no cure.”
A spokesman for Whittington Health said the hospital contains asbestos “in common with many buildings constructed in the 19th and 20th centuries”.
She added: “The hospital manages this in accordance with current regulations. We are sorry to hear of Margaret Daly’s condition.”
Anyone with information about can contact Ms Lovett on 0191 279 0104 or firstname.lastname@example.org.