GCSE results: City of London Academy Islington posts best ever scores
- Credit: Archant
Scores have nearly doubled at the City of London Academy Islington – the biggest leap in the borough – after major changes were introduced at the school.
In percentage of students achieving the flagship five A* to C grades at the academy in Prebend Street, Islington, is up to 61 per cent – up 33 per cent on last year’s results.
The school’s overall A* to C pass rates are also up to 80 per cent – a rise of 13 per cent compared to 2012 – despite a nationwide dip in grades for the second year running
Principal Clare Verga said: “I am absolutely delighted for our Year 11 students who have all achieved exceptional examination success today. Their high academic achievement is the result of hard work throughout the year, following significant changes within the academy to raise standards.
Eamon Martin, chairman of the board of governors at the academy, said:“Many congratulations to the students, principal and staff at the academy. They have put in an exceptional performance, surpassing an ambitious target we set for a 55 per cent pass-rate.
You may also want to watch:
“The board of governors is thrilled. It is a great outcome for the students’ hard work – the guidance, support and input of the staff – and for the significant changes delivered by the academy throughout the year.”
The Reverend Dr Martin Dudley, chairman of joint-sponsor the City of London Corporations Community & Children’s Services Committee, said: “These results are a credit to the students and a testament to the dedication, hard work and effort that they have put into their studies.”
- 1 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 2 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 3 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 4 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 5 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 6 Clerkenwell fire: Margery Street office block blaze under investigation
- 7 Meet Charrli - the Islington start-up facilitating zero-waste shopping
- 8 Tony Blair joins celebration to mark 101 years of Highbury Catholic church
- 9 Finsbury Park house to be transformed for ‘Halloween experience’
- 10 Arsenal youngsters Hennessy and Goldie selected for England under 19s
The academy achieved a ‘Good’ Ofsted report in its latest inspection in November 2012. The report recognised the academy as ‘rapidly improving’ with ‘inspirational leadership’ and these examination results demonstrate further evidence of a major improvement in teaching and learning on offer at the school.
The City of London Academy Islington is sponsored by the City of London Corporation and City University London.