Holloway leisure centre set for £1.4mil facelift
- Credit: Archant
A leisure centre is set for a £1.4 million facelift.
The Sobell Centre in Hornsey Road, Holloway, will get brand new floodlit football pitches, a new boxing gym and a bigger fitness centre.
It was the training centre for volleyball teams during the 2012 Olympics and Islington Council hope the refurbishment will encourage people to keep fit with low-cost activities.
The first stage – the football pitches – should be finished by August.
Damien Swan, manager of the centre, said: “Providing space for our popular football bookings will free up the sports hall for other activities and will increase the amount of people who can access these great facilities.”
Cllr Janet Burgess, Islington Council’s executive member for health and wellbeing, said: “Improving the health and wellbeing of our residents is a council priority. I’m delighted we are able to make this investment to offer facilities for local people at an affordable price.”
- 1 Archway teacher on trial for 'encouraging terrorism'
- 2 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 3 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
- 4 'We've still not had Christmas cards': Royal Mail apologises as post backlog hits Islington
- 5 Replacement Finsbury Park leisure centre a step closer
- 6 'Government should rethink their plans': Masks still required on TfL
- 7 More than 18,000 Covid breach fines issued by Met during lockdowns
- 8 Screen on the Green: Dive into 1940s America this weekend
- 9 How many alcohol-related fires were there in your borough last year?
- 10 Five arrested for drugs offences after dawn raids