Holloway leisure centre set for £1.4mil facelift
- Credit: Archant
A leisure centre is set for a £1.4 million facelift.
The Sobell Centre in Hornsey Road, Holloway, will get brand new floodlit football pitches, a new boxing gym and a bigger fitness centre.
It was the training centre for volleyball teams during the 2012 Olympics and Islington Council hope the refurbishment will encourage people to keep fit with low-cost activities.
The first stage – the football pitches – should be finished by August.
Damien Swan, manager of the centre, said: “Providing space for our popular football bookings will free up the sports hall for other activities and will increase the amount of people who can access these great facilities.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Janet Burgess, Islington Council’s executive member for health and wellbeing, said: “Improving the health and wellbeing of our residents is a council priority. I’m delighted we are able to make this investment to offer facilities for local people at an affordable price.”
- 1 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 2 Stunning photos show how King's Cross has changed in 20 years
- 3 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 4 'Unbelievably awful’ - North London MPs react to David Amess stabbing
- 5 Jeremy Corbyn to hold ‘alternative Cop26’ in Scotland
- 6 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 7 'I’m not mad. I’m an MP': Claudia Webbe harassment trial continues
- 8 E-scooter rider suffers head injuries in Holloway Road crash
- 9 Helen Anderson: CCTV appeal to trace witnesses to Finsbury Park mum's murder
- 10 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington