Holloway leisure centre set for £1.4mil facelift
- Credit: Archant
A leisure centre is set for a £1.4 million facelift.
The Sobell Centre in Hornsey Road, Holloway, will get brand new floodlit football pitches, a new boxing gym and a bigger fitness centre.
It was the training centre for volleyball teams during the 2012 Olympics and Islington Council hope the refurbishment will encourage people to keep fit with low-cost activities.
The first stage – the football pitches – should be finished by August.
Damien Swan, manager of the centre, said: “Providing space for our popular football bookings will free up the sports hall for other activities and will increase the amount of people who can access these great facilities.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Janet Burgess, Islington Council’s executive member for health and wellbeing, said: “Improving the health and wellbeing of our residents is a council priority. I’m delighted we are able to make this investment to offer facilities for local people at an affordable price.”
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 2 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 3 Police officer hospitalised after Dartmouth Park Hill hit-and-run
- 4 Arsenal hit Gillingham for ten in FA Cup
- 5 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 6 Housing, LTN, Living Wage, child exploitation and charity shops
- 7 Holloway fire 'caused by unattended chip pan'
- 8 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 9 Teyah Goldie, 16, makes Arsenal squad for north London derby
- 10 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed