Holloway leisure centre set for £1.4mil facelift
- Credit: Archant
A leisure centre is set for a £1.4 million facelift.
The Sobell Centre in Hornsey Road, Holloway, will get brand new floodlit football pitches, a new boxing gym and a bigger fitness centre.
It was the training centre for volleyball teams during the 2012 Olympics and Islington Council hope the refurbishment will encourage people to keep fit with low-cost activities.
The first stage – the football pitches – should be finished by August.
Damien Swan, manager of the centre, said: “Providing space for our popular football bookings will free up the sports hall for other activities and will increase the amount of people who can access these great facilities.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Janet Burgess, Islington Council’s executive member for health and wellbeing, said: “Improving the health and wellbeing of our residents is a council priority. I’m delighted we are able to make this investment to offer facilities for local people at an affordable price.”
- 1 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 2 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 3 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 4 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 5 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 6 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 7 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 8 Letters on low traffic neighbourhoods
- 9 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 10 Families of WW2 veterans join Jeremy Corbyn in presenting plaque