Holloway man sentenced after breaking into Guardian building in King’s Cross to take heroin

A drug addict was convicted of burglary after he took heroin in The Guardian newspapers office in K

A drug addict was convicted of burglary after he took heroin in The Guardian newspapers office in Kings Place. Picture: Google - Credit: Archant

A drug addict convicted of burglary after he took heroin into a national newspaper’s office walked free from court on Friday.

Clayton Earlington, of Goodinge Close, Holloway, snuck into the Guardian building in King’s Cross in June looking for somewhere to take the drug that has plagued his life for many years.

Highbury Corner Magistrates Court heard Earlington got into the York Way premises by following an unsuspecting member of staff as they walked the security barriers.

After wandering around the building for 15 minutes – twice approaching editor Alan Rusbridger’s office, he took the Class A substances in the toilets, before being challenged by staff.

He escaped without being detained – but was later arrested after police spotted him on CCTV images. He denied the charges but was founf

d guilty of burglary with intent to steal by Deputy District Judge Timothy King at an earlier hearing.

Earlington, 49, has 34 previous convictions from 71 offences dating back to 1976.

Most Read

Emma Hayfield, defending, said: “This stems from a very long history of drug abuse. He has shown he is determined to address his drug addiction.”

She added: “He has a three-year-old daughter. She has been one of his main motivations in staying on this path and staying out of trouble.”

Earlinton’s carpenter brother was prepared to give him some casual work, she said, and asked the magistrates not to “keep him form his young daughter and family”.

Ms Hayfield said: “There are no aggravating factors, no threatening behaviour and most significantly nothing at all was stolen. He left of his own accord.

“He is remorseful and regrets his actions. He is sorry and knows he shouldn’t have been there.”

Lead magistrate Mr Rodd Barr said the bench “accepted there were no aggravating factors” but pointed out Earlington’s “appalling record for burglary”.

He was given a custodial sentence of 12 week. As he has served more than seven weeks on remand he was released after the hearing.