Holloway pitches aimed at encouraging youngsters to play football
- Credit: Archant
Youngsters celebrated the opening of new outdoor football pitches at a Holloway sports centre with a kickabout with the Mayor of Islington.
The two all weather pitches will be available seven days-a-week at the Sobell Sports Centre thanks to £327,000 of funding from Islington Council.
It is hoped the pitches, which were officially opened last month, will mean more young people get involved with playing football.
Cllr Janet Burgess, Islington Council member for health and wellbeing said: “Moving football from inside to outside will help increase participation in the sport while freeing up 70 hours per week for indoor sports such as volleyball, basketball, netball and gymnastics.”
The pitches are just part of a £1.4 million investment in the centre which will also see a new boxing gym created along with improved changing rooms and spectator seating for the main arena.
You may also want to watch:
To book a pitch, visit www.book.aquaterra.org and for junior bookings email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Pitch hire costs £70/hr for adult non-members £70/hr; £60/hr for adult members; £35/hr for junior non-members and £30/hr for junior members.
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 3 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 4 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 5 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 6 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 7 Why Arsenal's Leah Williamson is perfect England captain?
- 8 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 9 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 10 Environment and equality at heart of council leader's new direction for Islington