Holloway pitches aimed at encouraging youngsters to play football
- Credit: Archant
Youngsters celebrated the opening of new outdoor football pitches at a Holloway sports centre with a kickabout with the Mayor of Islington.
The two all weather pitches will be available seven days-a-week at the Sobell Sports Centre thanks to £327,000 of funding from Islington Council.
It is hoped the pitches, which were officially opened last month, will mean more young people get involved with playing football.
Cllr Janet Burgess, Islington Council member for health and wellbeing said: “Moving football from inside to outside will help increase participation in the sport while freeing up 70 hours per week for indoor sports such as volleyball, basketball, netball and gymnastics.”
The pitches are just part of a £1.4 million investment in the centre which will also see a new boxing gym created along with improved changing rooms and spectator seating for the main arena.
To book a pitch, visit www.book.aquaterra.org and for junior bookings email: email@example.com
Pitch hire costs £70/hr for adult non-members £70/hr; £60/hr for adult members; £35/hr for junior non-members and £30/hr for junior members.
- 1 Islington: Cycle track could be back if funding found
- 2 'Graffiti vandal' linked with £500k worth of damage caught in Highbury
- 3 Five arrested for drugs offences after dawn raids
- 4 'Fear, isolation and distress': Pentonville Prison during Covid-19
- 5 How mental health services are changing in north London
- 6 WATCH: Sauna fire rips through Old Street leisure centre
- 7 Knifeman was out on bail when he nearly killed father-of-three on school run
- 8 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 9 Protesters march in final attempt to prevent incinerator contract
- 10 New Islington chief wants to give children 'equal opportunities'