Holloway pitches aimed at encouraging youngsters to play football
- Credit: Archant
Youngsters celebrated the opening of new outdoor football pitches at a Holloway sports centre with a kickabout with the Mayor of Islington.
The two all weather pitches will be available seven days-a-week at the Sobell Sports Centre thanks to £327,000 of funding from Islington Council.
It is hoped the pitches, which were officially opened last month, will mean more young people get involved with playing football.
Cllr Janet Burgess, Islington Council member for health and wellbeing said: “Moving football from inside to outside will help increase participation in the sport while freeing up 70 hours per week for indoor sports such as volleyball, basketball, netball and gymnastics.”
The pitches are just part of a £1.4 million investment in the centre which will also see a new boxing gym created along with improved changing rooms and spectator seating for the main arena.
You may also want to watch:
To book a pitch, visit www.book.aquaterra.org and for junior bookings email: email@example.com
Pitch hire costs £70/hr for adult non-members £70/hr; £60/hr for adult members; £35/hr for junior non-members and £30/hr for junior members.
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 5 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 6 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 7 Hackney photographer captures lockdown 'park life'
- 8 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 9 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing