Covid-19: Research reveals Islington has third highest R number in country
- Credit: PA Images
Islington currently has the third highest R number in the country, new research has revealed.
According to research from the University of East Anglia (UEA), Islington currently has an R number of 1.94 - meaning each person infected with Covid-19 in the borough will infect a further 1.94 people.
This reading of 1.94 is third only to Lambeth - 1.97 - and neighbours Hackney, whose 2.02 reading is the highest in England.
The research - released yesterday, December 16 - is based on figures up until Tuesday (December 14).
As the Omicron variant continues to spread, the latest figures show that cases are soaring in Islington.
Data published by the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) last Friday - December 10 - showed that there were five confirmed cases in Islington as of December 6.
As of December 13, there are 116 confirmed cases - plus 402 sent off for extra testing.
According to the latest figures, a total of 366,112 vaccinations have been administered in Islington - as of Wednesday (December 15).To combat this surge, the government has launched a vaccine booster drive in recent days to better protect people.
Of these, 58,710 have been booster jabs - 23.1 per cent of the eligible population aged 12 and over.
- 1 'We've still not had Christmas cards': Royal Mail apologises as post backlog hits Islington
- 2 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 3 Blue Badge exemption and positive results for Canonbury East LTN
- 4 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
- 5 Knifeman was out on bail when he nearly killed father-of-three on school run
- 6 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 7 Archway teacher on trial for 'encouraging terrorism'
- 8 Ironmonger Row Baths have reopened for these activities
- 9 Holloway BHF pleads for volunteers to help it stay open
- 10 Screen on the Green: Dive into 1940s America this weekend