Islington immunisations up 40 per cent in two years thanks to Whittington campaign
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
Children in borough are among the best vaccinated in the London after a targeted assault on inoculations by Whittington Health.
Islington had languished well below the national average in numbers of children immunised, but a campaign from the hospital in Magdela Avenue has seen the number of under fives taking up key vaccinations rise by 40 per cent in the last two years.
The low rates increased the danger risk of outbreaks of preventable diseases such as measles, mumps or rubella – but 94 per cent of five-year-olds in the borough are now getting the jab that protects against all three conditions.
Whittington staff worked in partnership with GP practice nurses, GPs and practice managers to target areas and groups with lower rates, lengthening opening hours at clinics and following up all unimmunised children.
Christine Ogundele, immunisation specialist nurse at the hospital, said: “We are pleased we have managed to achieve this sharp increase in two years, which means these children have a high level of protection from many illnesses and diseases.
You may also want to watch:
““Ensuring your child is vaccinated protects them from many preventable, debilitating childhood illnesses and also helps to avoid outbreaks of diseases. Boosters are also incredibly important as they provide additional immunity to infections and reduces the chance of disease spreading.”
To have your child vaccinated, speak to your GP practice.
- 1 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 2 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 3 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 4 Letters: Fighting to keep Wray Crescent Park available to all
- 5 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
- 6 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhood scheme
- 7 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 8 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 9 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 10 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020