Jean, 85, smashing Angel gym three times a week
- Credit: Archant
Half an hour of cardio followed by another half hour of weight training. Just another day in the life of 85-year-old Jean Ju-Pierre.
One month ago, Jean caused a stir when she rocked up at The Gym Angel, in Goswell Road, to sign up for membership.
But Jean, of Brewers Buildings, in Rawstorne Street, Finsbury, has caused even more of a stir since then. “An inspiration,” gym manager Bastri Azemi said.
Jean, who exercises three times a week, is now appealing for fellow pensioners to get active.
“I came to this country in 1954 from British Guiana. Even then, I would get to the fourth step on the staircase and be breathless. I couldn’t do what I’m doing now!
You may also want to watch:
“I saw all the young people trying gym equipment out on the TV and I wanted to experience it. It’s so much fun but I know my limits. I look at the screen and it tells me to go faster. I have to tell it: ‘Excuse me, I am 85.’
“If it wasn’t for that gym I wouldn’t be getting out the house so much. I would reccommend this to anyone my age. Before I liked to look at the TV, or stay in bed. Now I am itching to get out and exercise.”
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 3 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 4 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 5 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 6 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 7 Jungle Cruise (12A)
- 8 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
- 9 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 10 Heartbreak for Team GB as Australia end Olympic dream
She added: “The point is, we didn’t have anything like this in the 1950s and even so, I had a really jealous husband and I doubt he would have allowed me to go. Since I started, I have felt so much more energetic in my legs. I am looking forward to trying out more exercises like squatting.”
Bastri said: “Everyone, from our staff to her fellow gym users, thinks Jean is an inspiration. She’s so outgoing, and happy to be here. She loves exploring new equipment, and exercises, and we as staff love to show her.
“She’s improved immensely. She can do all the cardiovascular stuff on her own and we are slowly getting her into weight training. It took me so much by surprise to see her here. But she’s so full of life and I want to be just like her when I’m 85!”