Jean, 85, smashing Angel gym three times a week
- Credit: Archant
Half an hour of cardio followed by another half hour of weight training. Just another day in the life of 85-year-old Jean Ju-Pierre.
One month ago, Jean caused a stir when she rocked up at The Gym Angel, in Goswell Road, to sign up for membership.
But Jean, of Brewers Buildings, in Rawstorne Street, Finsbury, has caused even more of a stir since then. “An inspiration,” gym manager Bastri Azemi said.
Jean, who exercises three times a week, is now appealing for fellow pensioners to get active.
“I came to this country in 1954 from British Guiana. Even then, I would get to the fourth step on the staircase and be breathless. I couldn’t do what I’m doing now!
You may also want to watch:
“I saw all the young people trying gym equipment out on the TV and I wanted to experience it. It’s so much fun but I know my limits. I look at the screen and it tells me to go faster. I have to tell it: ‘Excuse me, I am 85.’
“If it wasn’t for that gym I wouldn’t be getting out the house so much. I would reccommend this to anyone my age. Before I liked to look at the TV, or stay in bed. Now I am itching to get out and exercise.”
- 1 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 2 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 3 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 4 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 5 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 6 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 7 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 8 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'
- 9 Meet Charrli - the Islington start-up facilitating zero-waste shopping
- 10 Clerkenwell fire: Margery Street office block blaze under investigation
She added: “The point is, we didn’t have anything like this in the 1950s and even so, I had a really jealous husband and I doubt he would have allowed me to go. Since I started, I have felt so much more energetic in my legs. I am looking forward to trying out more exercises like squatting.”
Bastri said: “Everyone, from our staff to her fellow gym users, thinks Jean is an inspiration. She’s so outgoing, and happy to be here. She loves exploring new equipment, and exercises, and we as staff love to show her.
“She’s improved immensely. She can do all the cardiovascular stuff on her own and we are slowly getting her into weight training. It took me so much by surprise to see her here. But she’s so full of life and I want to be just like her when I’m 85!”