Jean, 85, smashing Angel gym three times a week
- Credit: Archant
Half an hour of cardio followed by another half hour of weight training. Just another day in the life of 85-year-old Jean Ju-Pierre.
One month ago, Jean caused a stir when she rocked up at The Gym Angel, in Goswell Road, to sign up for membership.
But Jean, of Brewers Buildings, in Rawstorne Street, Finsbury, has caused even more of a stir since then. “An inspiration,” gym manager Bastri Azemi said.
Jean, who exercises three times a week, is now appealing for fellow pensioners to get active.
“I came to this country in 1954 from British Guiana. Even then, I would get to the fourth step on the staircase and be breathless. I couldn’t do what I’m doing now!
“I saw all the young people trying gym equipment out on the TV and I wanted to experience it. It’s so much fun but I know my limits. I look at the screen and it tells me to go faster. I have to tell it: ‘Excuse me, I am 85.’
“If it wasn’t for that gym I wouldn’t be getting out the house so much. I would reccommend this to anyone my age. Before I liked to look at the TV, or stay in bed. Now I am itching to get out and exercise.”
- 1 Man arrested, cyclist seriously injured after alleged hit and run
- 2 Woman harassed by Claudia Webbe wanted MP 'to be humiliated'
- 3 MP Claudia Webbe loses harassment conviction appeal - but sentence reduced
- 4 Plaistow police officer to face GBH trial after man left paralysed
- 5 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in north London
- 6 Mother Clucker! Fried chicken restaurant to open in Upper Street
- 7 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 8 5 of the best things to do with kids in north London
- 9 Jailed: Members of 'sophisticated' drugs crime gang sentenced
- 10 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
She added: “The point is, we didn’t have anything like this in the 1950s and even so, I had a really jealous husband and I doubt he would have allowed me to go. Since I started, I have felt so much more energetic in my legs. I am looking forward to trying out more exercises like squatting.”
Bastri said: “Everyone, from our staff to her fellow gym users, thinks Jean is an inspiration. She’s so outgoing, and happy to be here. She loves exploring new equipment, and exercises, and we as staff love to show her.
“She’s improved immensely. She can do all the cardiovascular stuff on her own and we are slowly getting her into weight training. It took me so much by surprise to see her here. But she’s so full of life and I want to be just like her when I’m 85!”