Lembit Opik to exhibit himself in Islington pub
Maverick politician and prospective mayoral candidate Lembit Opik is to appear as an exhibit at an unusual event at an Islington pub.
The former I’m A Celebrity contestant will take part in a number of bizarre activities including reading his own poetry, hearing a song and dance written in his honour and arm wrestling the audience at the George Orwell, in Essex Road, tonight (Thursday) at 6pm.
Mr Opik said: “They won’t have to do a great deal to win the arm wrestling. I think John Prescott might be �better at it than me.
“I considered the nature of my campaign, and I am all about being accessible and I thought this would be a good way to reach people.
You may also want to watch:
“I think Boris and Ken are a bit in the same mould in that respect.”
William Kherbeck, 33, a former Holloway resident who arranged the exhibition, said: “I wanted to get him leg wrestling, but he hurt his leg in an accident.
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 3 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 4 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 5 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 6 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 7 Mum-of-two 'loses everything' in Islington fire
- 8 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 9 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 10 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
“I continue to be shocked by how far he is willing to push things.”