Lembit Opik to exhibit himself in Islington pub
Maverick politician and prospective mayoral candidate Lembit Opik is to appear as an exhibit at an unusual event at an Islington pub.
The former I’m A Celebrity contestant will take part in a number of bizarre activities including reading his own poetry, hearing a song and dance written in his honour and arm wrestling the audience at the George Orwell, in Essex Road, tonight (Thursday) at 6pm.
Mr Opik said: “They won’t have to do a great deal to win the arm wrestling. I think John Prescott might be �better at it than me.
“I considered the nature of my campaign, and I am all about being accessible and I thought this would be a good way to reach people.
You may also want to watch:
“I think Boris and Ken are a bit in the same mould in that respect.”
William Kherbeck, 33, a former Holloway resident who arranged the exhibition, said: “I wanted to get him leg wrestling, but he hurt his leg in an accident.
- 1 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 2 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 3 Historic pub The Cuckoo ready to welcome locals inside after refurbishment
- 4 Islington Boxing Club receives a major boost in fundraising campaign
- 5 Reaction from winners of Islington by-elections
- 6 Upper Street chef raises money for St Vincent volcano victims
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 9 900-year-old Farringdon market can continue despite opposition
- 10 Trial halted after Extinction Rebellion protester glues himself to the dock
“I continue to be shocked by how far he is willing to push things.”