Artwork created by Archway mental health patient displayed at NHS centre to ‘give hope to others’
- Credit: Archant
Artwork created by a mental health patient is now being displayed at the NHS centre where she was treated in the hope of inspiring others.
Sybil Adelaja was a service user at Highgate Mental Health Centre in Archway and as part of her recovery took up painting with the help of occupational therapist Laura Harrison and art therapist Hannah Ravenscroft.
Now they have pride of place in the centre, which is run by Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust.
“All of the paintings were inspired by a particularly tough time of my life when I was a patient receiving care for my mental health issues,” said Sybil. “When I was feeling depressed or angry, rather than shout or scream, I would put my feelings into the canvases.
She added: “Painting provided an outlet for me and a breakthrough to normality. I felt an incredible sense of relief after painting.”
You may also want to watch:
Hannah said: “Art can have the power to heal, providing an outlet to help process and explore difficult experiences, and it can give a voice to thoughts and feelings that may be difficult to express through words.”
Sybil was keen for her paintings to be exhibited in the hospital where they could give hope to others. She said: “Looking at these paintings now, I can feel a sense of time passing and that difficult time in my life being over.”
- 1 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 2 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 3 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 4 Upper Street flat attack: Man, 58, stabbed in neck and back
- 5 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhood scheme
- 6 Letters: Fighting to keep Wray Crescent Park available to all
- 7 Police investigate alleged Finsbury Park rape
- 8 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 9 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
- 10 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020