Moorfields quadruples weekly cataract ops in NHS pilot which could lead way clearing coronavirus waiting lists
- Credit: Archant
Moorfields Eye Hospital is quadrupling the number of cataract operations this week in a drive to clear surgical waiting lists that have built up during the coronavirus lockdown.
The ambitious project, known as the “cataract drive” will be the first of its kind in the UK. Eight operating theatres at the Old Street hospital provide four times the number of cataract procedures that they usually perform in one week - meaning nearly 500 operations might take place.
A cataract is clouding of the lens inside the eye, causing gradual blurring of vision, and surgery is the only available treatment. The operation lasts between 20 to 40 minutes and involves removing the cloudy part of the natural lens of the eye and replacing it with an artificial lens inside the eye.
David Probert, Moorfields’ chief executive said: “This project is the first of its kind and could be an example to rest of the NHS for a new way to clear waiting lists in the wake of Covid-19.
“I am incredibly proud of the adaptability and creativity of staff at Moorfields for innovating and working together in this way to help as many patients as possible.”
You may also want to watch:
Over 90 volunteers from St John Ambulance will help with pre-operative assessments, accompanying and reassuring patients during surgery, and assisting with discharges.
- 1 Archway murder investigation launched as 15-year-old victim named
- 2 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 3 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 4 Islington man sentenced after spate of motorbike and bike thefts
- 5 Archway man jailed after causing 'totally avoidable' crash
- 6 High Court ruling 'will not directly impact' People Friendly Streets
- 7 Two 16-year-olds charged with murder of Islington student
- 8 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 9 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 10 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham