Nearly 1 in 5 Islington surgeries of ‘high concern’ to watchdog
- Credit: Archant
Nearly a fifth of doctors’ surgeries in Islington are of ‘high concern’, according to a new report.
A survey by the Care Quality Commission (CQC) reveals that seven out of the borough’s 38 GP practices are at either the highest or second highest risk of providing poor care.
The watchdog said the register did not necessarily indicate poor GP surgery performance, but they will use it to target inspections.
Four of the borough’s surgeries – Dr William Nubi’s, in Stroud Green Road, Stroud Green; the New North Road Health Centre, in New North Road, Islington; the Highbury Grange Medical Practice, in Highbury Grange, Highbury and the Islington Central Medical Centre, in Islington, were put in Band one - of highest concern to the CQC.
Risks identified include a potential lack of cervical screening, diabetes checks, patient satisfaction, and less reported heart disease than would be expected.
Three further surgeries, the Goodinge Health Centre, in North Road, Holloway; the Miller Practice, in Highbury New park , Highbury and the Roman Way Medical Centre, on Roman way, Holloway, were rated band two, of the second highest concern.
Cllr Martin Klute, chair of Islington Council’s health scrutiny committee who recently published a series of ways to improve patient access in the borough, said: “This is partially related to the work the committee did, but not completely.
- 1 Met Office: Thunderstorm warning issued for London
- 2 Community bus serving Islington and Hackney cancelled after surging fuel prices
- 3 Teenager arrested in Deshuan Tuitt murder investigation
- 4 West Hampstead man fatally stabbed in Ealing
- 5 Teenage Highbury Fields fatal stabbing victim named by police
- 6 Inside the esports gaming arena coming to Islington's Upper Street
- 7 Landlord who did not provide kitchen for tenant fined £40,000
- 8 Finsbury Park man due in court charged with pub murder
- 9 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 10 Murder investigation after teenager stabbed in Islington park
“We had to focus very firmly on the appointment system or we would end up setting the whole world to rights.
“One thing we have found doing the report is that it’s very hard to make direct correlations between statistics and what is happening on the ground.
See the CQC’s full interactive map of surgeries here.