New app launched for Islington health services
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
A new app to help patients navigate local health services and ease pressure on A&E has been launched.
Islington residents can now use the Choose Well North London app on their mobile phone to find the right NHS service for their illness or injury
It can locate the nearest health centre, GP practice, pharmacist or hospital across north London, and can be downloaded from the App Store and Google Play.
Patients with minor illnesses or injuries or non-life threatening conditions may be able to get faster and more appropriate treatment by speaking to their GP or pharmacist, visiting their local urgent care centre or by calling the NHS 111 number –rather than going to A&E.
Dr Gillian Greenhough, a local GP and chair of NHS Islington Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), said:“A&E should be for people with serious and life-threatening emergencies only. Choosing a service that’s more suited to your symptoms may help to save you time and to prevent an unnecessary trip to hospital while helping to make sure that everyone is able to access the help they need, when they need it.
“To help protect against winter bugs, keep a medicine cabinet well stocked and get plenty of rest. Your pharmacist can give you expert advice on common conditions, such as allergies, skin conditions and emergency contraception. If you have an illness or injury that won’t go away but isn’t an emergency, it’s best to visit your GP.
“If you’re unsure where to go for the right treatment or if you need urgent medical advice, you should call the NHS 111 number. This is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and is free to call from both mobiles and landlines.”
- 1 Islington's first Amazon Fresh store opens in Angel
- 2 Reality TV star's brother ‘wasn't involved in drug-trafficking’, murder trial hears
- 3 Poorer households in Islington could see council tax cut
- 4 Strike action will hit Central and Victoria line Night Tube services this weekend
- 5 Safety measure or danger? Two weeks to decide Liverpool Road cycleway fate
- 6 Festive events lined up for Islington this Christmas
- 7 Google rates the top vegan and vegetarian restaurants in your borough
- 8 Call to end Islamophobia in Islington at first awareness event
- 9 New Covid-19 vaccine centre opens on Holloway Road
- 10 Barking MP Margaret Hodge 'will not stand' in next general election