Newly wed Archway doctor in desperate plea for bone marrow
- Credit: Archant
A newlywed has made a desperate plea for a bone marrow donor who could help could save her life.
Tania Ba-Obeid, 32, a doctor from Junction Road, Archway, is battling lymphoma - a rare type of cancer - for the third time after twice being given the all-clear. Now she has been told she needs a transplant in the next few months, but because she is of an ethnic minority - her mother is Filipino and her father is from Yemen and half Indonesian - Dr Ba-Obeid is struggling to find a match.
She said: “Two years ago it seemed like I had the world in my hands - I had just got engaged, our offer for a house was accepted, I had good career prospects and then there it came, like a train crash. After two years of chemo and two relapses my life is now on hold and the priority is just to stay alive.”
She developed flu-like symptoms but did not know what was wrong until finally she was diagnosed with an aggressive form of lymphoma just after her 30th birthday in December 2012. Dr Ba-Obeid said: “It was the worst nightmare ever.”
After months of treatment she was in remission, but a few months later she was told the disease had returned. More chemotherapy and a stem cell transplant followed. It seemed like she was cured and she married her partner, William Ringer. But the cancer returned.
She said. “It’s torture – there is a sense of desperation. I hope that by sharing my story I will be one small step towards getting closer to finding a donor. If anyone is thinking of joining I would say ‘don’t think about it – just do it’. It would mean the absolute world to me. It would mean the difference between living a life and not. It would mean more to me than they could ever know.” For information about joining the bone marrow donor register, visit anthonynolan.org.
- 1 'We've still not had Christmas cards': Royal Mail apologises as post backlog hits Islington
- 2 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 3 Blue Badge exemption and positive results for Canonbury East LTN
- 4 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
- 5 Knifeman was out on bail when he nearly killed father-of-three on school run
- 6 Archway teacher on trial for 'encouraging terrorism'
- 7 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 8 Ironmonger Row Baths have reopened for these activities
- 9 Screen on the Green: Dive into 1940s America this weekend
- 10 How many alcohol-related fires were there in your borough last year?