Olympic spirit continues in Islington with 2013 summer sports day
- Credit: Archant
The Olympic spirit will carry on into 2013 with a free summer sports day.
The event is set to be held on July 20 on Highbury Fields to give people of all ages an opportunity to get involved and have a go at a variety of sports.
The town hall organised the sports gala as a follow up to last summer’s Olympic torch event which attracted 6,000 visitors.
Islington Council’s executive member for health and wellbeing, Cllr Janet Burgess, said: “Last year’s sports day was such a huge success, we want to build on that and offer residents a free, fun day out that the whole family can come along to. The Olympics really sparked an interest in sports - particularly among young people and that’s something we’re keen to encourage.”
Details of the day are yet to be announced, but Islington Council will be working with a number of local sports clubs and organisations including Access to Sports, Arsenal in the Community and the Elfrieda Society.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Janet Burgess said: “I’m looking forward to letting residents know what they’ll be able to look forward to on the day once the programme has been finalised.”
A recent Sport England survey has revealed that Islington stands fifth out of the 32 London boroughs, for the amount of residents carrying out regular exercise.
- 1 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 2 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 3 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 4 Joe Montemurro says he expects Vivianne Miedema to stay at Arsenal
- 5 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 6 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 7 Tributes paid to founder of Islington's Museum of Funeral History
- 8 'Risk of thunderstorms' in north London ahead of May 17 lockdown easing
- 9 Primary school allowed to keep floodlights despite complaints
- 10 Reaction from winners of Islington by-elections