Olympic spirit continues in Islington with 2013 summer sports day
- Credit: Archant
The Olympic spirit will carry on into 2013 with a free summer sports day.
The event is set to be held on July 20 on Highbury Fields to give people of all ages an opportunity to get involved and have a go at a variety of sports.
The town hall organised the sports gala as a follow up to last summer’s Olympic torch event which attracted 6,000 visitors.
Islington Council’s executive member for health and wellbeing, Cllr Janet Burgess, said: “Last year’s sports day was such a huge success, we want to build on that and offer residents a free, fun day out that the whole family can come along to. The Olympics really sparked an interest in sports - particularly among young people and that’s something we’re keen to encourage.”
Details of the day are yet to be announced, but Islington Council will be working with a number of local sports clubs and organisations including Access to Sports, Arsenal in the Community and the Elfrieda Society.
Cllr Janet Burgess said: “I’m looking forward to letting residents know what they’ll be able to look forward to on the day once the programme has been finalised.”
A recent Sport England survey has revealed that Islington stands fifth out of the 32 London boroughs, for the amount of residents carrying out regular exercise.
- 1 Archway teacher on trial for 'encouraging terrorism'
- 2 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 3 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
- 4 'We've still not had Christmas cards': Royal Mail apologises as post backlog hits Islington
- 5 Replacement Finsbury Park leisure centre a step closer
- 6 More than 18,000 Covid breach fines issued by Met during lockdowns
- 7 'Government should rethink their plans': Masks still required on TfL
- 8 Screen on the Green: Dive into 1940s America this weekend
- 9 How many alcohol-related fires were there in your borough last year?
- 10 'Graffiti vandal' linked with £500k worth of damage caught in Highbury