Olympic spirit continues in Islington with 2013 summer sports day
- Credit: Archant
The Olympic spirit will carry on into 2013 with a free summer sports day.
The event is set to be held on July 20 on Highbury Fields to give people of all ages an opportunity to get involved and have a go at a variety of sports.
The town hall organised the sports gala as a follow up to last summer’s Olympic torch event which attracted 6,000 visitors.
Islington Council’s executive member for health and wellbeing, Cllr Janet Burgess, said: “Last year’s sports day was such a huge success, we want to build on that and offer residents a free, fun day out that the whole family can come along to. The Olympics really sparked an interest in sports - particularly among young people and that’s something we’re keen to encourage.”
Details of the day are yet to be announced, but Islington Council will be working with a number of local sports clubs and organisations including Access to Sports, Arsenal in the Community and the Elfrieda Society.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Janet Burgess said: “I’m looking forward to letting residents know what they’ll be able to look forward to on the day once the programme has been finalised.”
A recent Sport England survey has revealed that Islington stands fifth out of the 32 London boroughs, for the amount of residents carrying out regular exercise.
- 1 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 2 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 3 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 4 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 5 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 6 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 7 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 8 Emirates to reopen for Covid jabs as council looks to entice residents
- 9 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 10 Arsenal complete signing of Norweigan midfielder Frida Maanum