Olympic spirit continues in Islington with 2013 summer sports day
- Credit: Archant
The Olympic spirit will carry on into 2013 with a free summer sports day.
The event is set to be held on July 20 on Highbury Fields to give people of all ages an opportunity to get involved and have a go at a variety of sports.
The town hall organised the sports gala as a follow up to last summer’s Olympic torch event which attracted 6,000 visitors.
Islington Council’s executive member for health and wellbeing, Cllr Janet Burgess, said: “Last year’s sports day was such a huge success, we want to build on that and offer residents a free, fun day out that the whole family can come along to. The Olympics really sparked an interest in sports - particularly among young people and that’s something we’re keen to encourage.”
Details of the day are yet to be announced, but Islington Council will be working with a number of local sports clubs and organisations including Access to Sports, Arsenal in the Community and the Elfrieda Society.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Janet Burgess said: “I’m looking forward to letting residents know what they’ll be able to look forward to on the day once the programme has been finalised.”
A recent Sport England survey has revealed that Islington stands fifth out of the 32 London boroughs, for the amount of residents carrying out regular exercise.
- 1 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 2 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 3 Stunning photos show how King's Cross has changed in 20 years
- 4 'Unbelievably awful’ - North London MPs react to David Amess stabbing
- 5 Jeremy Corbyn to hold ‘alternative Cop26’ in Scotland
- 6 Helen Anderson: CCTV appeal to trace witnesses to Finsbury Park mum's murder
- 7 E-scooter rider suffers head injuries in Holloway Road crash
- 8 'I’m not mad. I’m an MP': Claudia Webbe harassment trial continues
- 9 Essex Road Sainsbury's closed for deep cleaning after rats filmed crawling over croissants
- 10 Guilty: MP Claudia Webbe harassed her partner's female friend, magistrate rules