Owner predicts bright future for King’s Cross venue
A hint of former clubbing glory has returned to King’s Cross as a new venue begins to beat its drum across the capital.
The Star of Kings, in York Way, formerly the Cross Kings, opened in December and with its top of the range Funktion One sound system and eclectic entertainment, it is beginning to cause a stir among London’s revellers.
King’s Cross used to boast several popular clubs, including The Cross, Egg, Canvas (formerly Bagleys), and The Keys, all within walking distance of each other.
The area was considered something of a clubbing mecca, but three of the clubs were closed to make way for King’s Cross Central, at the time the largest urban regeneration in Europe, and partygoers started heading elsewhere.
Now, The Star of Kings is aiming to reverse the trend, starting on Saturday, when the first ever Bagleys reunion is taking place in the venue’s “rave cave”.
Rob Hives, owner of the bar, who made his name with the Star of Bethnal Green venue and Mulletover nights, said: “The days of thousands of people heading to the Goods Yard on the weekend to go to Bagleys or The Cross are long gone.
“I’d like to think that we can offer really good quality entertainment in a more intimate setting, perhaps appealing to those people who went to those clubs in their heyday, but would now like to have a nice bite to eat and a bottle of wine before going downstairs and dancing in a space with good air-conditioning and an amazing sound system.
- 1 Islington: Cycle track could be back if funding found
- 2 'Graffiti vandal' linked with £500k worth of damage caught in Highbury
- 3 Five arrested for drugs offences after dawn raids
- 4 'Fear, isolation and distress': Pentonville Prison during Covid-19
- 5 Knifeman was out on bail when he nearly killed father-of-three on school run
- 6 WATCH: Sauna fire rips through Old Street leisure centre
- 7 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 8 How mental health services are changing in north London
- 9 'Robot' prisoner locked up indefinitely for killing Serco custody officer
- 10 New Islington chief wants to give children 'equal opportunities'
“I think with the current developments in King’s Cross, the area will only improve over the next few years, and will be a really exciting and diverse place to do business.”
With a live stage, comedy nights, lunchtime offers, VIP areas, cocktails and an upstairs banqueting hall, the Star of Kings is well placed to take advantage of both the past and future of King’s Cross.
n For more details, email email@example.com or go to http://starofkings.co.uk/