‘Recognition feels so special’: Islington’s inspirational carers awarded by council
- Credit: Archant
Of all job occupations, care work for vulnerable people has to be among the toughest.
So it was great to see them recognised at Islington’s annual Dignity in Care Awards on Thursday.
At the town hall ceremony, the judging panel chose three winners from 70 nominations.
One of them, Hibo Farah won the domiciliary care category. She said: “I was amazed when they said I had won, because there are so many other care workers all doing such a fantastic job.
“I love what I do, and my manager is really supportive, but it can be hard at times. Caring for vulnerable people is a big responsibility, so to get recognition for it is really special. The best thing about my job is the people I care for, so I’m really thankful that they thought about nominating me.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Janet Burgess, Islington’s health and social care leader, said: “The awards are my favourite event of the year. Each one of the nominations tells a remarkable story of someone who has dedicated their working life to caring for people, so it’s always a difficult task to choose the winners.
“Far too often, the inspirational work that these people do, is unseen and overlooked. It’s crucial that we take the opportunity to celebrate these unsung heroes, who make such a difference to people who are at a vulnerable time in their lives.”
- 1 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 2 Islington signs deal to secure homes for Afghan refugees
- 3 Run Kids Run: Huge fun run raises £40,000 for Islington primary schools
- 4 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 5 Helen Anderson: CCTV appeal to trace witnesses to Finsbury Park mum's murder
- 6 Stunning photos show how King's Cross has changed in 20 years
- 7 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 8 Jeremy Corbyn to hold ‘alternative Cop26’ in Scotland
- 9 E-scooter rider suffers head injuries in Holloway Road crash
- 10 Guilty: MP Claudia Webbe harassed her partner's female friend, magistrate rules