Second Andrew Jaipual murder trial: gang cheered and bragged after brutal stabbing
- Credit: Archant
Members of a notorious gang cheered and bragged after killing an innocent man they had hunted him down with bats, clubs and knives, a court heard.
Up to 20 masked youths of Archway’s Busy Block gang were involved in the attack on 21 year-old Andrew Jaipaul as he walked home through the Andover Estate, in Seven Sisters Road, Holloway, in June 2011.
Mr Jaipaul, an aspiring fashion designer from Burnam Road, Finsbury Park, was chased into a children’s play area and knifed 25 times in the head, chest and legs.
Busy Block vowed revenge after one of their members was stabbed in the buttocks hours earlier and the mob were caught on CCTV wearing masks and scarves heading to the scene of the killing.
Prosecutor Zoe Johnson QC said: “He found himself the victim of a series of escalating attacks between rival gangs.
“He was quite simply going about his own business when out of nowhere a large armed gang came across him, decided to attack him chased him down and stabbed him to death.
“After the murder they were heard to shout ‘Busy Block’ as they ran from the area.”
- 1 Community bus serving Islington and Hackney cancelled after surging fuel prices
- 2 'Rest in peace child': Tributes paid to teenager stabbed to death
- 3 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 4 West Hampstead man fatally stabbed in Ealing
- 5 Met Office: Thunderstorm warning issued for London
- 6 Arteta's Arsenal plan coming together nicely
- 7 Teenage Highbury Fields fatal stabbing victim named by police
- 8 Teenager arrested in Deshuan Tuitt murder investigation
- 9 Finsbury Park man due in court charged with pub murder
- 10 Inside the esports gaming arena coming to Islington's Upper Street
One witness said she heard a noise like “cheers from a stadium” after the slaying.
Another heard a youth boast “He has just been juked up boy. He ain’t going to make it”.
Five men have already been jailed for the murder.
Allen Kalema, 19, of Cardinals Way and Tony Walker, 20, of Hazelville Road, both Archway, are charged with murder.
Jamie Farrell,21, of Havelock Street, Islington, Tylon Mason-Riley, 21, of Adams place, Holloway, Michael Burton, 20, of Hurlock Street, Highbury, Stephen Roberts, 21, of Highbury New Park, Highbury and Elliot Parkinson, 18, of Thornhill Square, Barnsbury, are all accused of violent disorder.
The trial continues