What’s on in Islington this weekend
- Credit: OLIVIER PIRARD
Our pick of the weekend’s action:
Examine an animation developed through an ever-evolving painting on the window of 36 Junction Road by artist Eleanor Meredith as part of a long-term exhibition. All day at the A Million Minutes Shop Studio, Junction Road, N19. Free, call 020 7514 2366.
Keep your fingers crossed for spring at this Nordic walking session for over-55s, from 2pm, at the Drovers Centre, North Road, N7. Costs £2, call 07900 888438.
Enjoy some time with chaps of an excellent vintage at Friday Fellas, from 11.30am to 4pm, at Sotheby Mews Day Centre, Sotheby Mews, N5. Costs £3.50 (including lunch and an exercise class). Call 020 7226 1421.
Make like Jake and Elwood with a night of live music courtesy of the Bluespective Band, from 9 to 11.30pm at Ajani Grill, Hornsey Road, N19. Costs £6, call 020 7272 5566.
- 1 Islington pub Alpaca wins lockdown service award
- 2 Masks, PCR tests and boosters: New measures to combat Omicron variant
- 3 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 4 New Covid-19 vaccine centre opens on Holloway Road
- 5 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 6 Scandinavian primary school moves to bigger premises in Highbury
- 7 Family of missing Islington man make urgent appeal for information
- 8 Let's Talk: Campaign launched to tackle Islington inequality
- 9 Shops encouraged to become 'safe havens' to make Islington safer for women
- 10 Hundreds enjoy Jewish festival of lights in Islington
Get your skank on with an evening of Ska, reggae and dub from Selecter, Zion Train and Talisman, from 7pm at Islington Assembly Hall, Upper Street, N1. Tickets from £19.50, visit agmp.ticketabc.com.
Enjoy the music of French House Legend Alan Braxe – part of the team behind Music Sounds Better With You – as this famous venue celebrates it’s fourth birthday, from 8pm to 4am at the Queen of Hoxton, Curtain Road, EC2. Costs £8, call 0207 422 0958.
Find out more about romantic composer Johannes Brahms with exclusive access to an London Symphony Orchestra (LSO) rehearsal followed by a lecture and a one-off performance of Brahms’ String Sextet by LSO string players, from 10am to 5.30pm at LSO St Luke’s, Central Street, EC1. Costs £17, email Emma.Lewis@lso.co.uk.
Participate in a family workshop with a laboratory feel investigating, making artworks from trivial everyday materials, from 2.30 to 4.30pm at Parasol Unit Foundation for Contemporary Art, Wharf Road, N1. Costs £5 per family, call 0207 490 7373.
Stay incredibly strong at chi kung self-defence classes, every Sunday, from 11am to noon, at Providence Court, Upper Street, N1, on Saturdays from 11.15am to 12.30pm and on Fridays from 6.45pm to 7.45pm, at the Unity Church, Upper Street, N1. Call 07973 622240. Classes costs £10 per lesson or £40 for five.