Whittington boss on MEP wife’s payroll denies ‘cover up’ over undisclosed work
- Credit: Archant
The chairman of the trust in charge of the Whittington Hospital has denied covering up a potential conflict of interest after it emerged he had not fully declared being on the payroll of his MEP wife.
Steve Hitchins, who joined Whittington Health in December, confirmed he worked for his wife, London MEP Baroness Sarah Ludford – despite the role not appearing on the trust’s formal Register of Interests.
Baroness Ludford is an active promoter of legislation currently being negotiated in the EU that campaigners claim will “carve up” the NHS to private companies.
It has led to accusations that Mr Hitchins was attempting to “cover up” the link – thus preventing the spread of longstanding accusations made by Whittington campaigners that he has a hidden agenda to open up the hospital to privatisation.
Mr Hitchins denied the accusation, saying: “I’ve always been completely open and transparent with the trust about the work I do with my wife.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve worked for my wife for the past eight years and it’s listed in the public domain on her website.”
Get the full reaction to this story by visiting the Islington Gazette website tomorrow.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 3 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 4 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 5 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 6 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 7 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 8 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 9 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 10 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month