Whittington boss on MEP wife’s payroll denies ‘cover up’ over undisclosed work
- Credit: Archant
The chairman of the trust in charge of the Whittington Hospital has denied covering up a potential conflict of interest after it emerged he had not fully declared being on the payroll of his MEP wife.
Steve Hitchins, who joined Whittington Health in December, confirmed he worked for his wife, London MEP Baroness Sarah Ludford – despite the role not appearing on the trust’s formal Register of Interests.
Baroness Ludford is an active promoter of legislation currently being negotiated in the EU that campaigners claim will “carve up” the NHS to private companies.
It has led to accusations that Mr Hitchins was attempting to “cover up” the link – thus preventing the spread of longstanding accusations made by Whittington campaigners that he has a hidden agenda to open up the hospital to privatisation.
Mr Hitchins denied the accusation, saying: “I’ve always been completely open and transparent with the trust about the work I do with my wife.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve worked for my wife for the past eight years and it’s listed in the public domain on her website.”
Get the full reaction to this story by visiting the Islington Gazette website tomorrow.
- 1 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 2 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 3 Islington shooting victim named
- 4 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 7 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal