Whittington Trust denies “fat cat” salary
- Credit: Archant
An Islington hospital has denied that its chief executive earns a salary of over a quarter of a million pounds.
Simon Pleydell, who was named as the second highest earner in a list of ”fat cat” NHS bosses on Friday 21 August, was reported to earn an annual salary of £285,000, equivalent to the cost of 12 nurses.
The Whittington Trust denies the reported £285,000 annual pay check for Simon Peydell, who was appointed permanent chief executive of the trust in November 2014.
Upon his appointment the trust had announced that the former NHS employers policy board chair would receive £190,000 annually, with no employer pension contribution.
A spokesperson for the hospital said:
You may also want to watch:
“Simon receives a salary of £190,000 annually. It is important for the Trust to have a strong leadership team. Simon has extensive experience to lead and develop the organisation and his salary is a reflection of this.”
The figures were revealed after an analysis of hospital annual accounts from 2014 to 2015.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 5 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 8 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 9 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 10 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
The list comprised of 60 chief executives who earn more than the Prime Minister’s £145,500 annual salary.
The highest earning boss was Dr Tracey Batten of Imperial Wharf College who takes home £342,000 a year. Following Whittington Trust in second place, the trusts paying out most to their chief executives include Barts Health, West Middlesex and London North West Healthcare.