HEATWAVE: The best Blue Flag beaches to visit in Kent
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
The county is crammed with quality coastline
With the weather set to be a scorcher this week, there are few better destinations than Kent’s beaches.
And the county is home to some of the best in the country, with an impressive eight Blue Flag beaches.
According to a spokesman: “The Blue Flag is a voluntary eco-label awarded to more than 4000 beaches and marinas in 49 countries across Europe, South Africa, Morocco, Tunisia, New Zealand, Brazil, Canada and the Caribbean. It works towards sustainable development of beaches and marinas through strict criteria dealing with water quality, environmental education and information, environmental management, and safety and other services.”
The best of Kent’s beaches:
You may also want to watch:
Botany Bay Beach, Broadstairs
Botany Bay is the most northerly of the 7 Broadstairs bays in Kent. This is an old fashioned sandy beach almost 200m long with chalk cliffs and stacks, rock pools and gentle swimming conditions. This part of the Kent coast boasts the longest stretch
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 3 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 4 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 5 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 6 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 7 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 8 Islington and Camden police chief to leave Met after 29 years
- 9 Almost 5,000 Islington people pinged by Covid app in one week
- 10 Two Tube lines closed after 10pm as TfL staff isolate due to Covid
Ramsgate Main Sands Beach, Ramsgate
Resorts popular main sandy beach approximately 250 meters long with promenade. The resort beach is situated right next to the glorious Royal Harbour and Marina.
Westgate Bay Beach, Margate
Sandy bay with rocky areas and cliffs. Good family beach for sandcastles and lots of small rock pools to explore
Joss Bay Beach, Broadstairs
Joss Bay is the Home of Kent Surfing and one of the most popular south east England surf spots. Joss Bay beach in Kent is a 200m sandy beach sheltered by large white chalk cliffs below the North Foreland Lighthouse. The beach is popular with familes
St Mildreds Bay Beach, Margate
St. Mildreds Bay beach is a sandy bay with promenade, cliffs and tidal pool.
Minnis Bay Beach, Margate
Long, rural sandy bay with rocky and shingle areas, promenade and paddling pool. Popular for watersports: sailing club, windurfing and kitesurfing.
Stone Bay Beach, Broadstairs
Quiet, sandy bay approximately 200 meters long, with chalk cliffs, rock pools and promenade.
Tankerton Beach, Whitstable
Tankerton Beach is also known as Tankerton Slopes due to grass slopes backing onto the shingle and sand beach. The beach has some pretty wooden beach huts. At low tide you get a stretch of pebbles known as ‘The Street’ which leads out to sea.
Are these Kent’s best beaches? Do you think any have been left out? Comment below, or tweet us your pictures and suggestions at @KOSmedia.