Search

This week 60 years ago: Hornsey Rise man dies after swallowing meat bone, while Canonbury greengrocer battles a snake

PUBLISHED: 07:00 05 July 2017 | UPDATED: 13:34 05 July 2017

Islington Gazette: July 5, 1957

Islington Gazette: July 5, 1957

Archant

A Hornsey Rise man died after accidentally swallowing a meat bone while he was enjoying a meal.

John White, 63, of Hornsey Road, died during surgery to remove the bone at the Royal Northern Hospital.

Coroner W. Purchase recorded “accidental death” at a St Pancras Coroner’s Court inquest, after a pathologist claimed sudden death during the operation wouldn’t have occurred without the bone having already done the damage.

Meanwhile, a greengrocer had an unwelcome guest in a delivery bag of South African oranges: a 2ft snake.

George Grafton, who worked at a shop in Southgate Road, Canonbury, tried to move the reptile when it made a sudden dart at his hand. It narrowly missed him.

Mr Grafton managed to get the snake, dark green with white spots, in a box. He called London Zoo, which advised: “Don’t touch it. It is probably poisonous.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Islington Gazette. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Islington Gazette