HGV driver arrested following fatal collision in Islington – as neighbours say safety of road was an ongoing concern
- Credit: Archant
A lorry driver has been arrested following the death of a pensioner in a road collision in Islington this morning.
The accident involving a 70-year-old woman and a heavy goods vehicle – described as a half size tanker – happened just after 10am in Arlington Square, near the junction with Packington Square.
An Air Ambulance crew rushed to the scene in a car but the woman, who is yet to be formally identified but is understood to have lived nearby, was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver of the vehicle, a man in his 20s, has now been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and is currently in custody at a north London police station.
Rachel Exelby, who lives in nearby Bevan Road, said safety in the square had been an ongoing issue. “This road has been a massive worry,” she said. “It has been an accident waiting to happen. There is no pavement and massive lorries go up and down. I am terrified one of my children is going to be injured during the school run.”
You may also want to watch:
A caretaker on the estate, who only wished to be named as Jim, said: “We were having a tea break when we heard the police. We went out and it was chaos, the body was on the floor and her shopping trolley was just sat there.
“The lady normally goes out with two friends but today she went on her own.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 4 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 7 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 8 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
Friends of the victim said she had been bed bound recently, with friends running errands for her but just today decided she was well enough to go out.
Traffic officers continue to appeal for witnesses and information about the fatal collision, and anyone who can help should call investigators on 020 8842 1817.