Hicks and Cartwright families combine to remember dead teens
- Credit: photo: Arnaud Stephenson
The families of Islington teenagers who have lost their lives in tragic circumstances will come together on Sunday to send messages to their loved ones.
Henry Hicks, Alan Cartwright, Joe Walker and Stefan Appleton are just some of the young people who will be remembered along with others from the borough as balloons are released into the sky.
The event, organised by sisters of 15-year-old Alan and 18-year-old Henry whose tragic deaths both shocked Islington over the last year, will also see a picnic in Barnard Park for families.
Claudia Hicks, whose brother Henry’s funeral was attended by thousands in February, said: “We just wanted to do something more for Henry, Alan, Joe, Stefan and the others.
“We’ve been doing a lot of fundraising together and we thought this would be something that everyone could come to.
You may also want to watch:
“My sister is only 16 so people her age can come along and families with young kids as well.
“We’re going to be sending up balloons and attaching messages for them .”
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 3 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 4 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 5 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 6 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 7 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 8 Jungle Cruise (12A)
- 9 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 10 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
The event comes less than a month after Stefan Appleton was stabbed outside Nightingale Park in Canonbury and messages will also be sent to the 18-year-old.
Cherrie Smith’s brother Alan, 15, was killed when he was stabbed in the chest while cycling up Caledonian Road with friends in a chilling attack that shocked the nation in Febraury.
Cherrie said: “The balloon release is for all the loved ones that have lost their lives over the past few years.
“Some of the names include Alan Cartwright, Henry Hicks, Joe Walker, Ben Kinsella, Stefan Appleton, Terry Rickwood, Jessie Wright, Tommy Blackmore, Sam Fitzgerald, Jada Miller-Lewis, Levi Cronin and Ryan Gray.
“All families that have lost somebody, we would love for everybody to join us in Barnard Park.
“We are going to get balloons ourselves but people can bring their own too.
“We want to show everybody that our loved ones will never be forgotten.”
The balloons will be released at 2pm in Barnard Park, Copenhagen Street, Islington.