Hicks and Cartwright families combine to remember dead teens
- Credit: photo: Arnaud Stephenson
The families of Islington teenagers who have lost their lives in tragic circumstances will come together on Sunday to send messages to their loved ones.
Henry Hicks, Alan Cartwright, Joe Walker and Stefan Appleton are just some of the young people who will be remembered along with others from the borough as balloons are released into the sky.
The event, organised by sisters of 15-year-old Alan and 18-year-old Henry whose tragic deaths both shocked Islington over the last year, will also see a picnic in Barnard Park for families.
Claudia Hicks, whose brother Henry’s funeral was attended by thousands in February, said: “We just wanted to do something more for Henry, Alan, Joe, Stefan and the others.
“We’ve been doing a lot of fundraising together and we thought this would be something that everyone could come to.
“My sister is only 16 so people her age can come along and families with young kids as well.
“We’re going to be sending up balloons and attaching messages for them .”
- 1 Seven Sisters stabbing: Three jailed over Green Lanes gang killing
- 2 Shell casings found after Islington gun reports
- 3 Covid patients in north London hospitals with Plan B rules set to lift
- 4 Disqualified driver jailed after hit-and-run involving Islington schoolgirl
- 5 Emma Thompson and Sir Ian McKellen line up to play Whodunnit detectives
- 6 How often do Londoners cycle to work in each borough?
- 7 Artisan coffee house opens in Angel Central following £16m refurbishment
- 8 Plan to extend popular Gooners pub with shops and flats
- 9 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 10 Freud's Last Session: King's Head Theatre *****
The event comes less than a month after Stefan Appleton was stabbed outside Nightingale Park in Canonbury and messages will also be sent to the 18-year-old.
Cherrie Smith’s brother Alan, 15, was killed when he was stabbed in the chest while cycling up Caledonian Road with friends in a chilling attack that shocked the nation in Febraury.
Cherrie said: “The balloon release is for all the loved ones that have lost their lives over the past few years.
“Some of the names include Alan Cartwright, Henry Hicks, Joe Walker, Ben Kinsella, Stefan Appleton, Terry Rickwood, Jessie Wright, Tommy Blackmore, Sam Fitzgerald, Jada Miller-Lewis, Levi Cronin and Ryan Gray.
“All families that have lost somebody, we would love for everybody to join us in Barnard Park.
“We are going to get balloons ourselves but people can bring their own too.
“We want to show everybody that our loved ones will never be forgotten.”
The balloons will be released at 2pm in Barnard Park, Copenhagen Street, Islington.