Parkrun volunteers support the Covid vaccination rollout
- Credit: Highbury Fields Parkrun
While the Highbury Fields parkrun is suspended due to lockdown restrictions, volunteers have pitched in to help with the vaccination rollout.
In normal times, volunteers organise the weekly 5K runs, marshalling participants and managing queues, ensuring events run smoothly.
They are now employing their skills to help the NHS, after one of their members, Alex Chase, joined Volunteer Centre Hackney to coordinate the vaccination programme.
Some 20 parkrun members are helping at the Bocking Street vaccination centre in London Fields, and the John Scott Health Centre in Manor House.
“Parkrun members are used to standing in a muddy field outside, in all weathers, working with all members of the community, from those who are running in very quick times to people who are running their very first run and might be a bit nervous,” said Alex.
You may also want to watch:
“They are used to talking to people and putting them at ease."
He added: “Some patients are very excited because it’s the first time they’ve been out since last year, some are anxious because they’ve been shielding and they’re very nervous, and they need to be reassured and looked after while they’re with us.
- 1 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 2 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 3 Islington shooting victim named
- 4 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 5 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 6 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 7 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 8 Islington is getting a big name restaurant
- 9 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 10 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
"That’s what all the volunteers that I’ve been lucky enough to be working with have done and it’s been a brilliant experience.”