Highbury fire: Elderly man hospitalised after flat block blaze in Aberdeen Park
- Credit: Archant
An elderly man was hospitalised and two people had to be rescued after a fire in Highbury this morning.
The blaze, in a block of flats in Aberdeen Park, is said to have been caused by unattended candles in a bedroom.
Four fire engines and 21 crew members were called at 5am.
An elderly man left the property before the brigade arrived. He was taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service crews.
Smoke travelled through the block and affected the upstairs property through an open balcony window.
You may also want to watch:
A woman and a man were rescued by firefighters from the second floor flat using a short ladder. Three further adults were led to safety by the internal staircase.
Around 15 people had left the block before the brigade arrived.
- 1 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 5 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 6 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
- 9 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting
- 10 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
The fire was under control about an hour later, just before 6.15am. Fire crews from Islington, Holloway and Stoke Newington fire stations were at the scene.