Highbury fire: Elderly man hospitalised after flat block blaze in Aberdeen Park
- Credit: Archant
An elderly man was hospitalised and two people had to be rescued after a fire in Highbury this morning.
The blaze, in a block of flats in Aberdeen Park, is said to have been caused by unattended candles in a bedroom.
Four fire engines and 21 crew members were called at 5am.
An elderly man left the property before the brigade arrived. He was taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service crews.
Smoke travelled through the block and affected the upstairs property through an open balcony window.
You may also want to watch:
A woman and a man were rescued by firefighters from the second floor flat using a short ladder. Three further adults were led to safety by the internal staircase.
Around 15 people had left the block before the brigade arrived.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 4 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 5 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 8 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 9 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
- 10 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
The fire was under control about an hour later, just before 6.15am. Fire crews from Islington, Holloway and Stoke Newington fire stations were at the scene.